Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jhayslip Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2008, 06:21 AM
    Changing my child's last name to mine.
    When my child was born his mother gave him her last name. I asked her to reconsider and she said no. I thought that if I gave her time she would reconsider and six months later she still says no. Is there anything I can do legally to change his last name in the state of Ohio?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 5, 2008, 06:22 AM
    Has paternity been established?

Jun 5, 2008, 06:29 AM
    We didn't do a paternity test because when he was conceived we were together and I'm sure she wasn't sleeping around.

Jun 5, 2008, 06:38 AM
    If she didn't put you on the birth certificate then you have NO rights at this point.

If you want to be part of this child's life you will have to go to court and establish paternity and get your name on the birth certificate. Of course she will probably ask for formal suppoirt at that point.

Jun 5, 2008, 06:41 AM
    I am on the birth certificate and child support has been established we just didn't do a paternity test. I pick my son up everyday after work I provide for him outside what I pay in child support. Any decision she makes I usually go with it. I am just asking for this and I find it hard to believe that there is nothing I can do.

Jun 5, 2008, 07:08 AM
    I'm a little confused here then. If you are on the birth certificate, then what does it show for name? However, if you want to have his legal name yours or even hyphenated, you will probably need to go to court for it.

Jun 5, 2008, 07:10 AM
    He has her last name on the birth certificate.
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Jun 6, 2008, 12:28 PM
    Typically and I'm not certain why, nor did I follow that old skool rule... children born out of the union of marriage receive the mother's name. You can however, name your child anything you want. In this instance to do a name change you would need to have the participation of the mother. The advice you are receiving to go through the courts is the only route you can take at this point. Good Luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing my child's last name [ 2 Answers ]

I have went to court with my sons father and was granted full custody of this child and at the time I agreed to have his name changed but the father was ordered to pay for this to be done within 10 days but did not do so... will he still be allowed to doso at any time?

Changing my child's last name [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, I was wondering how to go about changing my 5-year-old daughters last name. Her father and I were never married, so when we had her I chose to give her my last name. I have sole custody of her. I have recently married and have asked my daughter since I will be changing my last name to my...

Changing child's Name [ 7 Answers ]

How to change the last name of a child ? The Parents have never been married .The child is in her Mothers care?

Changing a child's name [ 2 Answers ]

Do I have the right to change my children's surname without applying to do it by deedpoll. Currently my children have there fathers surname, however they refer to themselves by my surname, he does have PR and would not allow them to use my name if I asked him. They have no contact with him and have...

Keeping my child's last name the same as mine [ 4 Answers ]

I have been a single mother since I was 4 months pregnant. The father decided to break our engagement and abandon myself and his unborn child and make no contact until one week after she was delivered. Of course it was hard to welcome him back(we aren't together but he visits her on the weekends)...

View more questions Search