Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2005, 07:45 PM
    Shower installation in basement
    In our two year old townhome basement, there is an area near the laundry that is set up to be finished into a bathroom. The sink will be easily tied into the existing plumbing. My question is about the shower. There is a square pad of concrete that has a rougher finish than the rest of the concrete. This concrete pad is located exactly where a shower should go. If I break through it will I be able to tap into drain pipes? Or is nothing under this concrete square? Why would the builders have put a square of different concrete if the drain pipes are not located under it? Thanks!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 17, 2005, 07:29 AM
    Shower installation in basement
    Good morning Alan,

Sounds like the builder left you what's called a shower "dap-out".
    A dap-out is a square hole about 2 or 3 inches deep that has a 2"trap and shower stub-up already roughed in. Sometimes it's left open but sometimes it's squared off and filled with dirt so the cement crew don't have to wory about pouring into it. A thin layer of cement seals it in. You should be able to break out the "overburden" and clear out the hole. Then the drain can be attached to the stub-up and the tile man can mud it in and tile to it. Some builders simply leave a shower stub-up coming out of the cement that you can fit a shower base on but it sounds like your builder planned on a tile shower. Hope I've explained everything to your satisfaction. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower installation [ 1 Answers ]

Hi There New here.Can anybody help me with step by step installation Of a shower (meaning heights from trap to pan). Thanks Guys

Old shower pan installation [ 3 Answers ]

About a year ago I removed the shower pan from my bathroom upstairs and replaced it with a new one. The gasket around the drain pipe was rubber that I had to drill through a number of times in order to remove . It appeared to have been something that was originally a liquid poured in and then...

Shower stall installation help [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently begun pulling up my old and cracked slab in the basement and I am repouring the concrete a section at a time. I have started at the front of the house and I will work my way back in 8 foot increments until I have reached the back wall. Following this, I will install a platform for...

Shower installation [ 3 Answers ]

My basement has been roughed in for a bathroom and I am trying to figure out how to install the shower base. The shower that I bought slopes down toward the drain hole and sits flush with the concrete at the drain hole. So in order to have room to attach the shower drain to the 2" pipe coming out...

Basement Bathtub Installation [ 9 Answers ]

I am finishing my basement, including a full bath that was roughed in by the builder, and I have a few questions about the bathtub install (a basic 30"x60" porcelain over steel tub). 1. When I attach the drain underneath it raises the tub up slightly. Do I need to shim the tub up, or is...

View more questions Search