Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Seeley1218 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2012, 10:33 AM
    Is Settlement on your debt much worse then payment in full?
    I have 5 things from Sept 2011 around $1,100 total. I am working minimum wage so it is hard for me to pay these. Is there really going to be a HUGE difference on my Credit if I do a settlement opposed to Payment in Full. I can't get any type of credit at all right now. Please Help me out Is there any other ways to try and do this?
    raindad Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2013, 11:42 AM
    Don't know if this helps or not but I had an outstanding bill of $2000.00 with Verizon and settled with a collection agency for $1100.00. Made 2 payments in Dec. 2012 and as of today Jan 2013 it increased my score 15points. So I guess settled in full helped mine.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 6, 2013, 01:22 PM
    Payment in full will give you a higher score. How much higher is a secret kept by the people you manage the formula for calculating scores.

It will definitely look better than a delinquency or judgment and will let you recover your credit score more quickly.
    raindad Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2013, 01:45 PM
    Question Seely1218, the 5 things you have to pay, are any of them installment loans where you can take a payment and put it towards the end of the loan? This might just free up enough money to pay something else off so its not re-ocurring. But know that when you do this it might increase the total amount paid on the loan because of interest. When you free up one bill take that money and apply that towards other bills. Paying bills on time keeps you out of late fees and as such will keep that money in your pocket. Always pay in full as opposed to settle in full!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 6, 2013, 08:33 PM
    Payment in full is better than a settlement,
    A Settlement is better than non payment

At this point if you are not paying them and they are reporting late and non payment, anything is better than that

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Non payment of settlement [ 2 Answers ]

I am divorced for 2 years and my ex has not paid the settlement yet wich was agreed on. The lawyer has sent the sherrif of the court to attach twice already and the girlfreind says everything belongs to her and produces receipts so now that's a dead end what is the next step for me getting my...

DEBT! What should I do debt consolidation,debt settlement bankruptcy (kind of long) [ 8 Answers ]

Hello to everyone :) I've been reding on here and seen the great questions asked and answered, and thought I'd ask a few questions. Ok so here is my situation, I have total about 35k worth the credit card debt (3 cards, amex 20k, visa 5k and another visa 10K), a 12k car loan and a house in WA....

Made small payment on outstanding debt, received summons for full amount today. [ 4 Answers ]

I have an outstanding debt with Capital One. The original amount was $2500, but now with interest and fees I owe $3500. Capital One has charged off the account and it was purchased by a local law firm. The law firm has contacted me several times asking me to pay more than I could afford, so in an...

Effects on Credit with Debt Not Paid at all VS Debt pain in Settlement [ 2 Answers ]

I lost like 140k in a home foreclosure. The first mortgage bank cancelled my debt and sent me 1099c. The second mortgage bank sold the my loan for $102,500.00 to debt collector. Now Saxon mortgage who currently owns my loan, is giving me an offer to settle with $5000. I can't come up with that...

View more questions Search