Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmmarx Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2012, 05:43 PM
    Toilet refills every few minutes
    After flushing, the bowl fills and the water going in the tank stops. About every 15 minutes, I hear the tank filling again. I think it is continuing to slowly run into the bowl and therefore need to refill the tank. What do I need to do?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 16, 2012, 06:11 PM
    Hi Tmmarx

You need to start by replacing the FLAPPER. Here, it sounds like water is leaking by the old flapper and this causes the fill valve to refill the tank periodically.

Stick with the manufacturer's specific replacement flapper, if possible (take the old flapper to a local plumbing supply house).

I you want to test this, take 20 drops of a dark food coloring and drip it into the toilet tank and see if the colored water shows into the toilet BOWL over time. If colored water shows up, the flapper or the entire flush valve assembly may need to be replaced. Start with the flapper... let us know what you discover...

Mark
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 17, 2012, 06:37 AM
    Great advice from Massplumber. Another way to check would be to run your fingers around the flat side of the flapper. If it feels rough or wavy then replace the flapper. Now run your finger nail around the seat, If you feel rough spots or nicks replace the flush valve. Also check the linkage from the flapper, It should have 1/4" of play when the flapper's seated. Too tight and you have a leak. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet tank refills with bursts of water [ 1 Answers ]

After I flush the toilet and the tank is refilling, it refills in bursts. Water flows for a second then stops, flows for a second then stops, instead of a steady consistent flow. This also happens at the sink after the toilet has been flushed.

Is there a website to match pen refills to actual pictures of refills? [ 0 Answers ]

I have a Cross pen and lost the barrel and I haven't been able to match it to a refill. The closest refill I have found is a barrel that is 0.7 mm but the point part is too fat to come out the end.

Toilet constantly refills [ 1 Answers ]

Toilet shuts off, but later the tank has lost water and refills. The lost water doesn't appear to be leaking out. What can I do? It wastes lots of water.

Toilet inside drip and refills every so often [ 1 Answers ]

We hear drip of water from inside the toilet and toilet refills every so often. If I push down on the flapper, it stops dripping. I cleaned the flapper and where the flapper rests with vinegar. Any other suggestions aside from replacing the flapper? Thanks, Enrique

Toilet tank refills only when faucet on [ 7 Answers ]

Toilet flushes fine. Tank does not refill, unless you turn on the sink faucet (located right next to toilet) for just a moment. Then it refills like normal. This happens more often than not. Any thoughts? Thank you :)

View more questions Search