Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scienceteacher Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2010, 08:01 PM
    Toilet constantly refills
    Toilet shuts off, but later the tank has lost water and refills. The lost water doesn't appear to be leaking out. What can I do? It wastes lots of water.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 29, 2010, 08:16 PM

Hi Scienceteacher...

Sounds like you have a bad toilet flapper there. To confirm a bad flapper take some food coloring and drip in about 15 drops of a dark food coloring into the toilet TANK.

Let that sit for an hour or so and if the coloring shows up in the toilet BOWL you know the flapper is bad and needs to be replaced.

If the flapper is bad, turn the toilet shutoff off and remove the flapper and take it to a local home supply store and replace it with the best fit replacement flapper.

If you have issues beyond that, let me know, OK?

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet inside drip and refills every so often [ 1 Answers ]

We hear drip of water from inside the toilet and toilet refills every so often. If I push down on the flapper, it stops dripping. I cleaned the flapper and where the flapper rests with vinegar. Any other suggestions aside from replacing the flapper? Thanks, Enrique

Toilet Randomly Refills For about 5 Seconds, Leak? [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, so the problem started a couple of weeks ago. First, I noticed that the flush lever was loose, so I opened up the tank cover and tightened the nut to the lever, so that it was no longer loose. The next several times that I flushed, I noticed that the water was running from the refill tube...

Toilet constantly running. [ 6 Answers ]

My toilet has been running for 3 days. I've tried everything, including cleaning out the tank to remove any deposits that may have been the problem. I've had this problem before, and I've always fixed it. I would just shut the water off, but whoever installed it didn't put a shutoff valve on the...

Toilet tank refills only when faucet on [ 7 Answers ]

Toilet flushes fine. Tank does not refill, unless you turn on the sink faucet (located right next to toilet) for just a moment. Then it refills like normal. This happens more often than not. Any thoughts? Thank you :)

Water pipes vibrating and making a noise when the toilet system refills [ 2 Answers ]

When the toilet refills you can hear the pipes vibrate and make a noise. I've turned our stop cock to off and then turned it back on slightly and this rectifies the problem but the water then just trickles out. I think it's an air block but I don't know how to check the toilet. All the tapes are...

View more questions Search