Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moonwater Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2012, 04:18 PM
    Vaginal itchiness and brownish bleeding over a year
    Hello,
    I just turned 47. For the past year I have been in and out of the womans' clinic with vaginal itchiness and what looks like break through bleeding. Some days I feel more itchy than others. The bleeding mostly occurs when I use the toilet so it is not strong. I have a period, and sometimes I get another period right afterward.. like 5-8 days later only lighter. Sometimes the period turns into that brownish , break through like bleeding at the end and goes on and on. The itchiness seems to be just on the opening and not deep inside. I have been tested and re-tested. Finally one nurse said it may be BV and yeast so I have had 2 rounds of Diflucan as well as Metrogel one time. It seemed to subside a bit only to come right back.
    Help.
    I have not had a pap for about 2 years so I know that is due as well. There is not pain, although feel a bit crampy now, and I am having the brown blood.
    Thank you
    Pam
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Oct 8, 2012, 05:36 PM
    It's time to have a Pap and see a doctor.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 8, 2012, 05:37 PM
    Neither Diflucan nor Metrogel will get rid of BV. To get rid of that you would need a round of antibiotics.

As far as the bleeding... At your age it is white probablecthat you are entering perimenopause/menopause.

Oct 8, 2012, 05:50 PM
    Really? Why is that? I mean what is the Metroge lfor then? It is for bacterial vaginal infections and I used it successfully in the past for bv after I gave birth.

Just wondering..
    Thanks
    Ps.. she said she was checking for Srep b and if I had that, I would need oral antibiotics.
    Expert

Oct 8, 2012, 05:58 PM
    The OB/GYNs I work for prescribel metrogel for yeast infections, although I do see Metrogel prescribed as well. The most widely used antibiotics are clindamycin, flagyl, and tinidazole.

Oct 8, 2012, 06:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    The OB/GYNs I work for prescribel metrogel for yeast infections, although I do see Metrogel prescribed as well. The most widely used antibiotics are clindamycin, flagyl, and tinidazole.
    Thank you.
    The metrogel is for the bacterial infection. They rxed Diflucan for the yeast infection.
    Expert

Oct 8, 2012, 06:14 PM
    I'm a registered nurse specializing in women's health. But since you already know the answer to your questions, I respectfully unsubscribe from this thread.

Oct 8, 2012, 06:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    I'm a registered nurse specializing in women's health. But since you already know the answer to your questions, I respectfully unsubscribe from this thread.
    Hello
    I do not know what you mean? I just happen to know (and my Nurse Rn told me also) that she prescribed the metrogel for the bacterial infection and the Diflucan for the candida. That is all.
    Did not mean to offend you in any way.

PRESCRIBED FOR: Metronidazole topical gel, cream, and lotion are used for treating rosacea. Metronidazole vaginal gel is used for the treatment of bacterial vaginosis (also referred to as Hemophilus vaginitis, Gardnerella vaginitis, or nonspecific vaginitis), a bacterial infection of the vagina. It is not effective in treating another common vaginal infection, Candidal vaginosis ("yeast infection").

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help: Vaginal discharge and itchiness [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I was seen about three weeks ago for vaginal discharge and itchiness. Cultures were taken for STDs and bloodwork for hepatitis and HIV. The doctor suspected BV and gave me metro-gel and doxycycline while I awaited the lab results. I finished the metro-gel (five nights), but couldn't take the...

Brownish orange Vaginal Discharge [ 8 Answers ]

Ok so I'm 16 and I got my period on the 23rd and my period only lasts 4 days since I first got my period which was about 2 years ago. It's now the 30th and since yesterday my lower back has been hurting a lot.. and the last few days my stomach has been hurting. Yesterday when I woke up I felt...

Discharge and vaginal itchiness [ 16 Answers ]

Hi, I'm 17 years old and for around 2 days now I have been getting lots of white thick discharge (more than usual) which dries light yellow. It has a sour kind of odour to it. This few days the entrance and inside of my vagina has also been very itchy. What is wrong? Xx

View more questions Search