Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zhao_salem_98 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2012, 08:09 PM
    Foreign gift tax law
    If the foreign donor gives 50K twice in separate tax years, then the donee doesn't have to report to IRS, right?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Sep 20, 2012, 03:16 AM
    The receiver of gift does not pay any tax. A foreign donor is not subject to U.S. taxes.
    You may need to file form 3520. Notice of Large Gifts Received from Foreign Persons if the amount is exceeds a limit. The form is due on the date of your return including extensions.The form is filed at Internal Revenue Service, P.O. Box 409101, Ogden, UT 84409
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 20, 2012, 07:01 AM
    The limit MukatA refers to is $100K, so separate $50K gifts will not have to be reported to the IRS.
    taxesforaliens Posts: 649, Reputation: 117

Sep 20, 2012, 01:32 PM
    However, if there is a clear connection between these separate events and together they are above the limit, you would need to report it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foreign SSN holder as gift donor tax question [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm currently a H1B work permit holder in the States, and I'm looking into buying a house. My parents are not US citizens, and not resident of the States, and they are living in a my home country. However, they do hold SSN (acquired >10 years ago when they worked temporarily in the States)....

Foreign gift tax ? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My mom is a U.S. legal resident and she has a bank account oversea. If she transfers some of her money into my bank account oversea. Does she owe gift tax on that transaction ? Thank you

A gift tax return filing requirement by a foreign person [ 4 Answers ]

I am a U.S. citizen. My brother in korea wants to give a property in the U.S. to me as a gift. In this case is he required to file a gift tax return and pay gift tax? Is he also entitled for the gift tax credit even if he is a foreign person?

Is there gift tax on foreign money? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my name is Olesya, and I am resident of USA since 2005 trying to buy a condo here. My Dad lives in Latvia and wants to transfer me money from his saving for the downpayment (100,000.00$) My question is: Would he have to pay gift tax on it, or I will have to pay something? Thank you

Foreign Gift tax [ 1 Answers ]

I received 200K foreign gift. How can I transfer back to US? Is there any tax implication? What forms I need to file? Thanks

View more questions Search