Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    weston2011 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2011, 02:54 PM
    Foreign gift tax ?
    Hi,

My mom is a U.S. legal resident and she has a bank account oversea. If she transfers some of her money into my bank account oversea. Does she owe gift tax on that transaction ?

Thank you
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 21, 2011, 07:18 AM

1. She would have to file a gift tax return if the amount she gifts to you is > $13K. This is the amount of the annual exclusion for gifting.

2. She would not actually owe any gift tax unless the amount she gives you in excess of the annual exclusion exceeds $1 million. However, any gifts greater than $13K made in a single year can have an impact on her estate planning, so if her estate is worth more than $1 miilion she should carefully consider the implications.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 25, 2011, 05:55 AM

The donor can give gifts of up to $13,000 in a year to any number of individuals. If any gift exceeds $13000, the donor must file gift tax return Form 709. Your U.S. Tax Return: The U.S. Gift Tax

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A gift tax return filing requirement by a foreign person [ 4 Answers ]

I am a U.S. citizen. My brother in korea wants to give a property in the U.S. to me as a gift. In this case is he required to file a gift tax return and pay gift tax? Is he also entitled for the gift tax credit even if he is a foreign person?

Filing you.S. Taxes: Foreign Income Exclusion AND Foreign Tax Credit? Etc. [ 0 Answers ]

Hello. I have a question about how to file U.S. taxes in a way that will give me the most benefit in my situation. Here are the details: 1. I'm a U.S. citizen, living in Japan. 2. I made less than the maximum allowed for the foreign income exclusion for each year I want to file. 3. I...

Foreign Gift: Report or Not? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, If I (resident alien for tax purposes) receive a gift of around USD30K from my father (neither a U.S citizen nor a non resident alien) as a wire transfer from his foreign currency account overseas to my US bank account do I need to report it in Form 3250? Also what is the implication on the...

Is there gift tax on foreign money? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my name is Olesya, and I am resident of USA since 2005 trying to buy a condo here. My Dad lives in Latvia and wants to transfer me money from his saving for the downpayment (100,000.00$) My question is: Would he have to pay gift tax on it, or I will have to pay something? Thank you

Foreign Gift tax [ 1 Answers ]

I received 200K foreign gift. How can I transfer back to US? Is there any tax implication? What forms I need to file? Thanks

View more questions Search