Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chausnic Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2012, 09:53 AM
    Can I, as the landlord, choose not to exercise the option to renew a lease?
    Lease renewal question -North Carolina: the wording in the lease states that at the end of the six month term there is an option to renew month to month for six months, but I do not want to continue with the current tenants. I know I have to give them a 30 day notice prior to the end of the lease to vacate; but can that be the end of it?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 11, 2012, 09:58 AM
    Can you state the actual complete sentence as shown on the lease? 'Option to renew month to month for six months' doesn't make a lot of sense, unless it also states a date by which the tenant must renew each of those six months, usually 30 days in advance. And this doesn't sound like a boilerplate lease, so where did it come from? If the tenant wrote it, I might expect a fight.
    chausnic Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2012, 10:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Can you state the actual complete sentence as shown on the lease? 'Option to renew month to month for six months' doesn't make a lot of sense, unless it also states a date by which the tenant must renew each of those six months, usually 30 days in advance. And this doesn't sound like a boilerplate lease, so where did it come from? If the tenant wrote it, I might expect a fight.
    This is the term from the lease: TERM. The lease term will begin on June 04, 2012 and will terminate on December 03, 2012 with the option to go month-to-month from then until June 04, 2013 at which point another lease must be entered into. It came from an online landlord site and was modified by a law student (my mistake).

These renters have been nothing but trouble to the neighborhood and have been served multiple lease violation notices in addition to emails and texts regarding their activities. I don't want to have to go through an eviction process but I know it's only a matter of time before we receive more complaints.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 11, 2012, 10:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chausnic View Post
    ..." ... with the option to go month-to-month from then until June 04, 2013 at which point another lease must be entered into. " ...
    It's not a real "option". In reality, it has no legal effect.

An option would be a legal right on the part of the tenant to create a binding contract (lease) for the period 12/3/12 to 6/4/13. Clearly, they cannot do so unless you were to agree to "another lease".

So yes, you can terminate the lease in December.

Next time, hire a real lawyer. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord nonrenewal after email to renew lease [ 5 Answers ]

My landlord contacted me about signing the new lease terms on June 30 and I agreed I would. Today. July 10th I told her I felt someone was entering my home as things were missing and was at the realtors office to sign my new lease as she stated in her email to me. The realtor told me she was not...

Does the landlord have to renew my lease [ 3 Answers ]

Does a landlord have to renew my lease

Landlord is not honoring my option to renew one year [ 5 Answers ]

I have rented a condo unit in Washington DC and have lived there nearly 11 months. The landlords/owners told me several moths ago they want to sell the unit this summer and have recently offered me a pre-sale package to buy the apt. I do not want to buy the apartment but my lease states I have the...

Can I as the landlord withdraw a option to renew if I have not signed the lease [ 1 Answers ]

Tenant gave notice to vacate and decided to stay. I offered 9 month renew option but did not sign lease yet (neither has she). She has begun to make unreasonable demands and I have decided I would rather sell than deal with this type of scenario. Can I give her proper notice that I plan to...

Landlord denies to renew lease. [ 26 Answers ]

Hi this is Ashes from Pennsylvania, recently me and my fiancé received a letter in the mail telling us that our landlord is exercising their right not to renew our lease and must vacate by the end of April. We've done nothing wrong, meanwhile our landlord has formed a double standard lease telling...

View more questions Search