Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lia1981 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2012, 03:56 PM
    Communication problem due to stress in a long distance relationship
    Hi,

I am in a long distance relationship with my boyfriend for last 5 months. Although we met only once in person, however until now we never faced any communication problem. We live in two different countries which makes it very difficult two meet occasionally.

Recently my boyfriend is facing some uncertainties regarding his career and since last one and half month he has stopped every bit of communication with me from his side. Its now only me who is trying to contact him every time and try to keep our relationship as normal as possible. Not only this, he sometimes even avoids my mails, phone calls, chat message. The crisis which my boyfriend is going through will last for minimum 5-6 months and I am afraid in between our relationship will be completely destroyed. I have tried to talk with my boyfriend many times over this lack of communication. Every time he says that a) right now because of this crisis he is quite busy b) he has a habit of shutting down occasionally ( which I never realized before this crisis period).

I am totally confused how should I act so that my boyfriend again starts
    Normal communication with me. He is introvert by nature and I am having a feeling he is not speaking his mind to me. May be he does not feel confident to approach to me anymore because of his career-crisis and that's why tries to avoid me! Should I stop contacting him for few weeks? But I am not sure because he is under stressful situations and may be if I stop contacting him, he will not come back again! I am not thinking to let him go, instead I would try every single possibility to get him back. However, from my side its very painful to feel unloved.

Any opinion/suggestion will be appreciated.

Thanks and regards.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Aug 21, 2012, 04:27 PM
    Being that this is long distance and now he isn't talking to you, why bother? You are better off just forgetting about this. Save yourself the heartache and end it now. These long distance things seldom go anywhere.
    shanmorris19 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2012, 06:42 PM
    Since you two are only dating, first you need to ask him if he is still interested in keeping the relationship together even though he is going through a hard time just so you know where you stand.

I would say don't give up on him if you two really care about one another and agree to keep trying. Give him his space. Just send him reassuring small messages from time to time to let him know you are there for him and ready to talk whenever he is. I would say keep it brief though until he starts to come around. I am in a long distance marriage to a guy in the Navy and I understand where you are coming from. There are times where the lack of reassurance gets frustrating and clouds your mind with negative thoughts. Focus on yourself. Find hobbies, crafts, and interest that you love; indulge yourself. Keep yourself busy. You can't ever tell what someone is going through with so much distance between you two. If you focus on keeping yourself happy, you won't have such a hard time getting through this time. Good luck!
    lia1981 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2012, 01:24 AM
    Dear All,

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

I have asked him few times whether at this moment he wants to stop the relationship together, if he does not feel comfortable. He said that he is not considering this option. Instead its only the stress and rather busy schedule because of which he is unable to communicate regularly. However, what I do not understand that how a guy can be so much busy all of a sudden that he does not get any time to just send a "hi" to his girlfriend! :-D.. . may be its totally the stress, and because of which I am not in his prime focus anymore. Or may be he is lying to me, and right now he is not even thinking of relationship. But he just does not want to admit that. Clearly he needs some space.

Whatever be the reason, I think I feel comfortable to follow what shanmorris 19 is suggesting. I will try to expect less from this relationship and rather try to keep myself busy. I am not taking any firm decision right now whether to break up with him and will keep the space open, if he wants to get back.

Thanks once again for your suggestions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Starting Problem due to communication [ 1 Answers ]

I become a friend of a girl on Facebook. We were chatting from last six months. And two months back we have exchanged our phone numbers. We are talking to each other on regular basis. Some times due to my possessive behavior, I involved in some debates with her. But at the end we resolve it. We...

Losing a relationship due to lack of communication and his frequent reje? What to do? [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, I met my husband when I was 19, he is 12 years older. I am 31 now. Back then we have the same taught, principles and priorities. But I am a touchy person and he is not, but that was covered back then because we seldom see each other and when we date, we miss each other so much. But when we...

Emotional Stress with a long-term relationship [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I've been in a relationship with this girl for about two years now. When we first met, it was like it was meant to be. Everything fell into place at just the right time and landed us together. Recently however, we hit a bit of a bump. Another guy who she was around (they work together)...

Long Distance Relationship! [ 280 Answers ]

Entire story merged He lives 2000 miles away and I miss him so much! :( We have been together for 1year and almost 3 months and so far 9months of it has been long distance. We talk about 3times a day on the phone.($$$ :(.. lol) We have seen each other 2 times since we had to be in long...

Long Distance relationship? [ 11 Answers ]

:confused: Hi. Where do I begin :( I live on the west coast... the guy I have been seeing for about 6 months now lives on the east coast. (3000 miles away) he and I get along GREAT.. we have a great time together and really liked each other A lot. We talked every single day with text and phone...

View more questions Search