Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    boozer101 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2012, 11:56 AM
    Can you fail a hair test even if you have a valid prescription
    If you take more then the prescribed amount of hydrocodone per day,can you fail a hair test?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 19, 2012, 11:57 AM
    Yes.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2012, 01:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by boozer101 View Post
    If you take more then the prescribed amount of hydrocodone per day,can you fail a hair test?
    I am not familiar with any hair test method that can extrapolate dose from detected metabolites. Unlike urine or blood tests, in hair testing there is no known correlation between dose and metabolite. In other words if you take fixed dose of hydrcodone it cannot be determined what portion of that dose would eventually be absorbed into the hair. Without that basic information it would be impossible to even approximate quantity per dose or cumulatively. We don't even know the mechanism of how drugs are absorbed into the hair.

In theory although not practically* frequency of use might be determined through segmental analysis but that is seldom done and still would not disclose dose per use.

In addition, hydrocodone is a semi-synthetic opioid that will not show up on step one of most hair tests (an opiate screen). Detection requires an expanded opiate panel and/or use of a confirmatory testing methodology such as GC/MS which is far more expensive than the immunoassay and must be specifically requested. See Quest Diagnostics

*many labs do not offer segmental analysis because it provides inconsistent results due to individual growth rates.

Nakahara, Y (1999) Hair analysis for abused and therapeutic drugs. Journal of Chromatography B, 733 (1999) 161–180, [p 174 contains graph of incorporation by drug type]

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you fail a hair follicle drug test by being around other people who are smoking [ 5 Answers ]

If you are hanging out with some friends and they light up a joint or blunt and smoke in a room right beside you or even while riding down the road with the windows down and you are fixing to take a hair follicle drug test in like two months can you fail even though you wasn't smoking it with them

How long is a prescription valid for probation [ 1 Answers ]

How long is a prescription valid for probation

Hair follicle drug test w/a valid prescription? [ 1 Answers ]

I am going to have a hair follicle drug test done next week. I have been taking 3-4 percocet 10mg a day for the past year. I do not currently have a prescription to cover this amount; however I do have a recent prescription for 5 5mg percocets. Do you think I will still fail having a valid...

Hair follicle test pass/fail [ 7 Answers ]

I smoked about 3 weeks ago and haven't smoked in about 18 months. I took 2 hits and was done. I had a follicle test this week 7-20-2011. What are the chances I pass?

I need to know if I'm going to fail my hair test [ 4 Answers ]

I was supposed to be done testing at my school and I took like two short hits of some dank. Now a week later my team ed up and smoked during our championship weekend and now they are testing all of us and even though I didn't smoke there, I am still worried about failing, so am I screwed?

View more questions Search