Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    biscuit32 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2012, 05:05 PM
    No grounded outlets
    I have an older house with non grounded outlets. I pluged my dyson vacuum into an outlet and it wouldn't turn on . The outlet has 120v with proper polarity and other things (fan light etc.) do work. The vacuum does turn on when plugged in an outlet within the same room.?
    mike 165278 Posts: 168, Reputation: 7

Aug 6, 2012, 06:23 PM
    Does anything else work in the outlet?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2012, 06:27 PM
    Maybe it is a switched outlet. Pull it out and see if the side tab has been taken off.
    alex the great Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2012, 12:24 PM
    Hi Guys!
    Just purchased a new hot tub (pretty big) 93x93 can fit about 8 ppl….I was told that I needed cable #6 but my electrician installed #8 and told me not to worry about it should be fine, but now I was told that warranty is not covered if anything happens to hot tub if cable #6 is not used, should I be worried? Just wondering thanks
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2012, 12:45 PM
    Who told you #6 was needed?

The electrician is responsible for wiring the unit correctly, as per manufacturers specifications.

Is there a permit for this job?

Aug 9, 2012, 01:18 PM
    What is the load of the hot tub, and what size breaker is it on? Make and model of the hottub?

Aug 9, 2012, 01:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell View Post
    Who told you #6 was needed?

The electrician is responsible for wiring the unit correctly, as per manufacturers specifications.

Is there a permit for this job?
    It says it in the manual and the sales person at store also told me to go with #6 cable but electrician told me it's a waste of money, the #8 would work just fine... so I'm paranoid now and confused! I hope nothing burns out on the main board of the hut tub because of this! We fused it at 50amp inside the house
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Aug 9, 2012, 01:49 PM
    If he ran NM cable inside the house then #8cu is NOT big enough.

Aug 9, 2012, 01:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman View Post
    If he ran NM cable inside the house then #8cu is NOT big enough.
    Even if the breaker is 60amp on the outside? Doesn't the braker protect the wire?

Aug 9, 2012, 01:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by alex the great View Post
    It says it in the manual and the sales person at store also told me to go with #6 cable but electrician told me it's a waste of money, the #8 would work just fine....so I'm paranoid now and confused! I hope nothing burns out on the main board of the hut tub because of this! we fused it at 50amp inside the house
    If it's fused at 50amps, you need #6. Was a permit pulled? If so has it been inspected?

Aug 9, 2012, 02:04 PM
    even if the breaker is 60amp on the outside? dosent the the braker protect the wire?
    This is the first I am seeing that there is a 60A outside. Either way, the 50A inside is protecting everything downstream on the circuit. The 60A is just asting as a means of disconnect.

Aug 9, 2012, 02:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mike 165278 View Post
    If it's fused at 50amps, you need #6.
    Not so if the circuit is THHN/THWN conductors in conduit the whole way. #8 THHN is fine for a 50A circuit. Thing is, the instructions trump this code.

Aug 16, 2012, 01:12 PM
    Yes permit was pulled, so if it was fused at 50 inside the house the 8# wire should be changed to #6? Cause its working fine now, it's been 1 week... should I tell him to change to #6? Please help!

Aug 16, 2012, 02:15 PM
    yes permit was pulled, so if it was fused at 50 inside the house the 8# wire should be changed to #6? cause its working fine now, it's been 1 week.....should i tell him to change to #6? pls help!!
    If it's #8 thhn in pipe it's legal, but if the manufacturer says to use #6 that supercedes the NEC ampacity chart. It's your call.

Aug 16, 2012, 02:18 PM
    OK thanks, 1 more question please... do u think the #8 will cause damage in the long run? What would you do? Just wondering and thanks so much for your help!

Aug 16, 2012, 05:23 PM
    ok thanks, 1 more question please...do u think the #8 will cause damage in the long run? what would you do? just wondering and thanks so much for your help!!
    The #8 won't 'hurt' the hot tub. But it will void your warranty. Me, I'd wire it according to the manufacturer's spec's, and use #6. Did the electrician tell you he was going to use #8 before hand?

Aug 17, 2012, 07:20 AM
    Yes he did cause it would save me money that way

Aug 17, 2012, 07:20 AM
    That what he told me :)

Aug 17, 2012, 07:23 AM
    yes he did cause it would save me money that way
    At that point he's off the hook. If you want it re-wired, you're going to have to pay for it to be redone. Just so you know you probably only saved a hundred bucks or so going with #8.

Aug 17, 2012, 07:32 AM
    Yeah that sounds right, about $100 but what I'm thinking more about is that the electicien was maybe lazy or trying to cut corners cause the #8 wire was ALREADY there! I had an old spa replaced with a NEW ONE that's why I called him, and he said we can just use the 8you already have and save money! That way we won't need to do the hole wireing again, know what I mean? But I regret it now... the manuel says use 6 wire, I'm upset and paranoid, what if I get inspected?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grounded outlets in a 1930's house? [ 1 Answers ]

I rent in a 1930's house. I was wondering if the outlets ( a mix of 2 prong and 3 prongs all over the house) were grounded through the use of the BX grounding the outlet-boxes themselves. Tested the 3 prong outlets with an outlet-tester, got 2 different results on 2 separate outlets: one...

Would buried outlets affect other nearby outlets ? [ 1 Answers ]

I recently purchased a house that had two buried electrical outlets. These outlets were capped with wire nuts and heavily wrapped with electrical tape. After moving in we realized that there other outlets that share that same wall that were not working.. Would these buried outlets cause a...

I am grounded [ 7 Answers ]

I had a different thing written. But I don't want it anymore. Is there any way I could delete this question? I don't see anything.

Outlets(receptacles) not grounded... what to do? [ 4 Answers ]

I embarked on a project to replace all the 15amp duplex wall receptacles in my living room yesterday because I wanted white outlets instead of the black ones that were installed. So I turned off the power and started to swap them out. They are 15amp duplex, 125-volt u-grounded receptacles. Much to...

View more questions Search