Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HouseofPains Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2011, 08:32 AM
    Grounded outlets in a 1930's house?
    I rent in a 1930's house.

I was wondering if the outlets ( a mix of 2 prong and 3 prongs all over the house) were grounded through the use of the BX grounding the outlet-boxes themselves.

Tested the 3 prong outlets with an outlet-tester, got 2 different results on 2 separate outlets: one giving me open ground (no ground existing) and the second being hot and neutral reversed. I think I can conclude outlets are not grounded.

That s why I was wondering if the boxes of the outlets were grounded through the use of BX,
    And if they are then I would ground the outlets to the boxes by adding a ground wire.

Also, did they use BX back then, or different cables?

I have a fuse box, where the neutral is fused also.

Thanks
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jun 1, 2011, 09:00 AM

The keyword here is "Rent". Which means you cannot add anything.

The LAHJ usually will allow homeowners to pull permits but renters cannot. Either the Landlord or a licensed electrician acting on behalf of the Landlord can pull a permit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why is one of my house outlets feeling hot? Like burning up [ 4 Answers ]

I feel heat coming out of one of my outlets. I've never noticed this before and started touching the rest of the ones around the house and found that all are cool. What can be an answer to this?

Old house with too many outlets on one breaker? [ 4 Answers ]

I am currently renting the second floor of a house in RI. This how was built 100+ years ago. Today I had a breaker trip in my L/R. I went to turn my sons light on for him in his room, no go. Then walked into my computer/bedroom, where there are 2 computers and they were off as well. My first...

Older House may need GFI Outlets [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I am purchasing an older house (built in 1985). It does not have GFCI outlets and the inspection called this out. Is adding GFCI outlets as simple as replacing the outlet with a new one or is there re-wiring involved?

Outlets(receptacles) not grounded... what to do? [ 4 Answers ]

I embarked on a project to replace all the 15amp duplex wall receptacles in my living room yesterday because I wanted white outlets instead of the black ones that were installed. So I turned off the power and started to swap them out. They are 15amp duplex, 125-volt u-grounded receptacles. Much to...

View more questions Search