Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gunther95 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2007, 12:17 AM
    Wrong branch wiring from a junction box?
    I recently ran wiring for a flood light that shines over my deck. A friend who seemed to know what he was talking about told me I could "grab power" from a junction box to power the light.
    The junction box has 12/2 wiring running through it and the wiring to the light is 14/2. This did not raise a question to me until I saw some faint "arcing" in the new light switch when I shut it off. The circuit in the panel is 20 amps, should I just run the new wiring to the box and put in a 15 amp breaker instead? Will this set up above cause an overloaded circuit? I have plenty of space in the box, I think my friend was trying to cut corners by doing it this way.
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Mar 5, 2007, 01:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunther95
    I recently ran wiring for a flood light that shines over my deck. A friend who seemed to know what he was talking about told me I could "grab power" from a junction box to power the light.
    The junction box has 12/2 wiring running through it and the wiring to the light is 14/2. This did not raise a question to me until I saw some faint "arcing" in the new light switch when I shut it off. The curcuit in the panel is 20 amps, should I just run the new wiring to the box and put in a 15 amp breaker instead? Will this set up above cause an overloaded circuit? I have plenty of space in the box, I think my friend was tring to cut corners by doing it this way.
    Grabbing the power from a box dictates that the wiring is the same size, in this case would be 12-2 w/gnd from the j-box. Also it would have been easy to use lighting with a dusk to dawn cell with motion sensor. Not that costly and lets you install it in the wall using a cut-in box. The hookup would not affect the inside wall circuit if it is wired in parallel to the existing circuit in the box without needing a control switch.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring two wall sconces from a common junction box [ 2 Answers ]

Wiring two wall sconces from a common junction box Good day. I have two wall sconces that were wired to a common junction box where they obtained their source of power (SOP). They each have their own on and off switches on the light fixture. I wish to connect both wall sconces to a dimmer....

Junction Box Fill [ 5 Answers ]

I'm trying to find what the fill capacity on electrical junction boxes are. I found this chart The thing that is stumping me is do you count grounds or not? For example, the specific instance that has me looking is that I have a 4x4x1 1/4 box, with 4 12/2 cables in it. If you don't...

Dedicated Bathroom Junction Box [ 2 Answers ]

The homerun for a dedicated bathroom circuit currently supplies a pull-chain light in a closet (closet is not in the bathroom). I would like to remove the pull-chain and have a junction box there. Is this okay or since there is a junction box in a non-bathroom location does that violate the...

Junction box question [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I have a quick junction box question. Is there a limitation to the amount of wires I can safely join in a junction box? If so, what is it and are there regulations to what size box I can use? Thank you. I would like the have 8 wires (neglecting ground) in one junction box (1 in / 3 out)....

Junction Box size [ 2 Answers ]

I have and oven with 10/3 mc cable attached. I am going to splice this to a 10/3 romex cable that I pulled from the sub panel. Is a metal 3" deep single gang box big enough? How many cubic inches do I need? Thank you

View more questions Search