Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jb1973 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2007, 09:07 PM
    Answer filed/Collectors trying to get a settlement
    Ok guys, thanks for all your help so far. Not only have I learned a lot, but you guys have really saved me some big trouble. I hope to use this knowledge that I have gained to help someone else out when this passes =)

Ok, quick summary of what's happened so far. I was served a summons. I answered the summons and filed it at the court that it wasn't my debt, and they have sent me zero proof. I also sent them a letter to validate the debt, nothing so far. The court sent out a FYI letter saying your court date will need to be made after 6 months pass by the plaintiff etc. What I have a question about now is the plaintiff sent me this huge packet of stuff. I thought it was some sort of breakdown or proof of debt, when in fact the cover letter reads: Please find enclosed plaintiff's discovery requests regarding the above-styled action for your completion and return. Please contact us if you wish to discuss a settlement to this matter. The documents attached are 19 pages and include three things. Plaintiff's first interrogatories, First request for admissions and first continuing request for production of documents. There is not one letter in there proving if I ever had an account and the breakdown of it which I requested. This is basically saying Is this yours? Yes it is yours. Give us a copy of your contract. Out of all my reading here, I haven't found anything addressing this sort of approach. Anyone have a clue? Thanks guys.
    5683HUGGS Posts: 53, Reputation: 3

Aug 5, 2007, 12:14 AM
    What happened since your last post? I too filed my answer, sent out a validation letter via certified mail. There only response was to set out to me the same Admit and Produce interrogatories. What did you do?
    jb1973 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2007, 05:18 AM
    Hey there, check your private messages.
    Fighting_the_Deb Posts: 24, Reputation: 2

Aug 13, 2007, 09:29 PM
    Wait! I want in on this one! I'm in the same boat.

I put in my answer that I denied all their charges because they had failed to provide proof positive that the debt is valid. There is something that is in a lot of contracts now that says that you lose your right to deny payment if you fail to deny the charges to the original creditor while the account is open. So, say there is a charge for plane tickets to Jamaica on your credit card statement, and after 32 days it dawns on you that you didn't go on a trip to Jamaica, then tough cookies, because you failed to notify the company of a dispute within 30 days. Then they claim that the burden of proof is on you to prove that you don't owe the debt.

The way I have handled it is that, I say the burden of proof is on them to show that I even owe the debt in question. They need to provide proof that they are the ones I am supposed to pay money to. Put it to the judge as: "I have been contacted by numerous companies regarding this account, how do I know these guys are the ones to pay? Where is there any proof they bought the debt from the original creditor, or that they have a contract with the original creditor, and where is there proof of a realationship between you and the original creditor?"

I know this is not in direct response to what you received... I have no idea about that. Please let me in on all the info you 2 have gained!
    5683HUGGS Posts: 53, Reputation: 3

Aug 13, 2007, 11:05 PM
    Yes, a lot of us are on the same boat. Just to be polite to jb, copy and paste your question to "What I properly served? What are my options?" and I can talk to you there.
    Thanks
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2007, 04:40 AM
    Answer to interrogatories, " I have no knowledge of the alleged debt, nor do I have any alleged contracts"

I have no knowledge of this alleged matter, plaintiff has fail to validcate alleged debt claim, from Dispute of Claim dated _______, Plaintiff only reply is Interrogatories to the Defendant.

I have no knowledge of this un-verified claim of the plaintiff's

By answering their interrogatories you have to admit of deny, There is no way you can until the plaintiff validicate the alleged debt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Auto Accident: Damage Settlement not Injury Settlement [ 13 Answers ]

Hello all and thank you in advance for your kind answers. My Girlfriend was involved in an accident in November. Here are some key points about the event. 1. Accident Fault - Fault was clearly the other driver Documented in the Police report. 2. Vehicle is currently financed - In both of...

Filed 1040 in 2005 instead of 1040NR: Which form should be filed for 2006? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I came to the US in Fall 04 and since then have been continuously on an F-1 student visa. I filed form 1040NR-EZ for 2004, but for 2005 I hired a CPA who (without informing me) filed a 1040 on my behalf. In there, he claimed an education credit (or something to that effect) which effectively...

Debt collectors [ 6 Answers ]

Is there a time limit to collecting a debt?

What happens after the debit collectors? [ 1 Answers ]

I haven't made a credit card payment since July of 2005. All three of my credit cards have sent my debit to debit collectors. They (those nasty collectors) call and leave messages several times a week. I have received letters asking for confirmation of the debit, but I have never responded or...

Being threatened by debt collectors [ 4 Answers ]

My grandmother baught a car and it ended up being repo'd. That was over a year ago.Now there is a company and she isn't sure if it's a law firm or a collection company.The letter she has says both it says that she now owes 9000.00 on the car.She is also getting calls from them every day.They are...

View more questions Search