Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    greatstudent22 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2005, 05:47 PM
    Being threatened by debt collectors
    My grandmother baught a car and it ended up being repo'd. That was over a year ago.Now there is a company and she isn't sure if it's a law firm or a collection company.The letter she has says both it says that she now owes 9000.00 on the car.She is also getting calls from them every day.They are yelling and screaming at her.Today they called her again and she asked them if she could call them back because she was talking to medicare about getting her prescription and the lady told her that when they were done she wouldn't even be able to get her prescriptions.She is always gettting these kinds of calls from them.They are also telling her that they will garnish her wages and take her house away and put her in jail.My grandmother is 69 and her only income is social security and that just enough for the bare neccesity.She is married and they have a house in Texas.Can this company really do all they say they will do.And if so what can be done to help her.
    Thank You
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Dec 30, 2005, 06:03 PM
    Who is this company so I can slap them from here into no where? You need to look this company up and find out if they are a ligitimit company. Anytime some company calls me and starts harassing and screaming about money it makes me suspicious as they are usually frauds. But if you check them out and they are for real then someone higher up needs to be talked to about their rude behavior. They shouldn't ought to pick on her like that. I really hope you can contact these people in person cause Id love for your grandma to sock them in the nose really hard. Companys are supposed to be willing to work on a monthly payment plan with you and if they say they don't then don't buy that junk. They have to accept any type of payment they get.
    bizygurl Posts: 522, Reputation: 110

Dec 30, 2005, 07:14 PM
    It sounds like to me that this company are using some extreme scare tactics. But it isn't about collecting a debt anymore. They are unnecessarily harassing your grandmother very cruely I might add. And tactics like that are againts the law. Your grandmother needs to get a lawyer right away. A lawyer would know what to do in this situation. They maybe able to find a way to catch them on tape. And if your grandmother can't afford a lawyer, there are a lot of lawyers that would probably do this probono. My husband and I filed for bankruptcy two years ago, and we also had a vehicle repossesed. Our lawyer had a "cease and diesesits" (I hope that's how you spell it), Where debt collectors can not legally call or send any letters to get their debt. A lawyer maybe able to do that without her filing for bankruptcy. Im not sure exactly what the law is. But I'm sure something could be done. No one deserves to be harassed like that.:mad:
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Dec 30, 2005, 08:57 PM
    Can sue go to jail? NO.

Can she lose her house? NO. However, a lien can be placed on her house.

She should contact a lawyer to deal with these bums, as they have crossed the line.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Dec 31, 2005, 05:32 AM
    Put it writing
    Write them a letter demanding validation of the debt, and tell them to stop calling , all contact must be done in writing.

Fair Debt Collection Act Link

http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fdcpa/fdcpact.htm

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Debt [ 2 Answers ]

How Many Years :( Is It Before Your Creditors Can't Chase You Anymore For Bad Debt

Info for Bottle Collectors [ 1 Answers ]

Just found a milk bottle dated 1911. I've got many dozens of old bottles, 95% of which have been found at 1. Former bottle dumps. Look just past old fence lines of properties. Back in the old days when all trash was burned, folks would dump their bottles over the fence "out back". If...

Need to get out of debt! [ 2 Answers ]

I am so nervous. I have a lot of debt and I don't want to have to file bk. Especially now that laws have changed it makes it more difficult. I am usually a very responsible perosn and I hate the fact of pushing my financial responsibilities onto other people, but due to some perosnal situations I...

Will collectors go after ex wife if husband declares bankruptcy? [ 2 Answers ]

She has a car that is financed in his name and numerous bills in his name as well as hers. Will they continue to go after her after my husband decalres bankruptcy?

View more questions Search