Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thegoat Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2012, 05:29 PM
    Can Australian debt follow me overseas
    My friend is a UK citizen living in Australia. She has been there for 4 plus years. She has told me that she does not plan to continue her residency migration and plans to go back home (UK), not wanting to go back to Australia.
    She has two credit cards there in Australia with a debt totalling to about $6,000. One with ANZ and one with American Express. Essentially she shouldn't have them as I believe that she is supposed to be a Permanent Resident to have them. She is not, she is a temporary resident.
    My question is; what are her options to get rid of this debt so she can leave Australia. Can she go Bankrupt? Or can she just ignore them... i.e.. Will the debt follow her?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 7, 2012, 06:32 PM
    She does not have to pay them to leave the country.

And credit cards don't depend on immigration status, esp international cards like American Express. Her debt just follows her basic, if the card companies can find her
    thegoat Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2012, 06:37 PM
    Thanks for your reply...

So she can leave and set up new life in the UK but just don't give Australian resident details when applying for new bank accounts?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Overseas debt [ 6 Answers ]

Can a Uk collection agency chase me up with my Uk debts here in California? I just received a letter from them today and they are threatening to come to our house to supposedly discuss my debts. Is that possible here in the States? They are also saying that they might have to contact work, can...

Will my bad credit follow me overseas? [ 1 Answers ]

I am an Australian living and working in the UK, I have a credit card with a major bank with a balance of 2000.00 pounds and a personal loan through a "bad credit" loan company of 2000.00 pounds, If I leave for Australia and fail to repay the loan and credit card, will Australian debt collectors...

Can crediters follow overseas [ 1 Answers ]

I have substantial credit card depts and can no longer pay them. I am moving overseas and my question is, can they follow me?

View more questions Search