Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mariap Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2008, 02:55 PM
    Overseas debt
    Can a Uk collection agency chase me up with my Uk debts here in California? I just received a letter from them today and they are threatening to come to our house to supposedly discuss my debts. Is that possible here in the States? They are also saying that they might have to contact work, can actually get my employer to pay them off from my salary? Will it affect my credit rating here?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 4, 2008, 02:58 PM
    Well yes and no.
    Have you made any acknowledgement or called them ?
    Who have you received a letter from as I have a lot of experience with UK collectors.

Jun 4, 2008, 03:09 PM
    I got the letter from tenon recovery. This is their 2nd letter which I have not responded to. This is for a non secured personal loan from a Uk bank. Don't really know anything about this company, tried to research them in the internet but not a lot came up
    BossMan

Jun 4, 2008, 03:11 PM
    Have they identified what the debt concerns or are they simply phishing for information ?
    Also what ages is this debt ?

Jun 4, 2008, 03:26 PM
    They have and is accurate of what I owe over there, just one of my long lists of creditors.
    Ive had this debt since nov 2006. Been paying them regularly until November of last year when my mother in law got really sick and we have have to pay the hospital bills overseas. So I have been delinquent with all my payables for 7 months now.
    I also have other unsecured debts but so far this particular bank is the most aggressive. Ive also received letter from the other creditors but no one's threatened to come to our house except them.
    BossMan

Jun 4, 2008, 03:35 PM
    I assume this is from the UK.
    Well they won't be arriving at your house anytime soon.
    This is a classic DCA tactic to get you to call.

Bear in mind the Pizza dude has more rights to call on you then these "people" do.

Now there is a number of things you can do, but please bear in mine I don't condone debt avoidance, but I loathe DCA's and their tactics with a passion.

1. Continue to ignore their letters, they will get bored soon enough and go away
    2. Send them a simple "prove it" letter asking them to show that they can legally collect this debt
    3. Call them, acknowledge the debt and pay up what you owe.

Personally I wouldn't advise #3 as they have paid around 10% for this account and yet they will be demanding the full amount, also with recent activity on bank charges the amount being demanded is going to be incorrect.

As for #2 this works well:

Quote Originally Posted by Prove It Letter
    Dear Sir/Madam

You have contacted me/us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself/ourselves.

I/we would point out that I/we have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to (insert company name).

I am/we are familiar with the Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I/we would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I/we would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my/our liability for the debt in question.

I/we await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions.

I/we look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully
    The good thing is UK credit law applies in this case as it is a UK debt and the OFT will have the final say.

#1 is dead easy, simply file under ignore.

Now me being me I would take the fight to them and go with #2 and have some fun.
    They have no idea what to do when people ignore their empty threats and fight back ;)

As ever the end choice is yours, but I'm around if you need advice.
    bod Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2011, 07:36 AM
    Hi I have the same problem, with my UK debt, but the collection afgentcy is here in the US, I sent the letter and they got back to me, with a standard letter from the UK bank, saying they are authorised to collected any debts on behave of the bank, and copies of my CC statements, but no letter saying they had any authority to collect my specific debt, what is my next step?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is credit card debt open account debt or a written agreement debt? [ 16 Answers ]

I am currently fighting a credit card debt action filed against me by Unifund. The issue is whether credit card debt is open account debt subject to 3 year SOL in the State of Washington or a written agreement debt subject to 6 years. I asked the same question on another forum and received an...

Overseas Credit Card Debt Collection [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! I have a credit debt (around CAD8,000) from when I lived/worked in Singapore and I have now returned to Canada. Can they come after me in Canada for the outstanding amount and do you think they would take any legal action to collect this amount. The only thing they've done so far is send...

Overseas Summons for Credit card debt [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Can anyone help me? I just received notice of a Court Summons delivered by a U.S. Marshall to my parent's home in Los Angeles. I currently live in South Korea. I will not be back in the states till a year or two. I was planning on paying for the debts I incurred after I finish working...

Credit card debt incurred overseas [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I was issued an AMEX and VISA card while I was living overseas (the U.K). I returned to the US about 6 years ago and kept the cards active. It turns out that I owe AMEX about $6000 and last night I received a call from what I assume is an American collection agency. Can this debt...

Credit card debt settlement overseas [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I recently joined a debt settlement program that has good customer feedback on forums and favorable ratings from the BBB... however, I am worried that I will be sued before my debts are settled ($38000 over 24 months). And it is complicated by the fact that I took a job overseas for an...

View more questions Search