Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dehill Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2012, 09:26 AM
    Connecting a light from a receptacle
    How do I connect a light and single pole switch from a receptacle that is presently live? I do not want the receptacle to be swithched but hot all the time?
    Thanks.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 15, 2012, 09:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dehill View Post
    How do I connect a light and single pole switch from a receptacle that is presently live? I do not want the receptacle to be swithched but hot all the time?
    Thanks.
    Hire an electrician... do it yourself and burn the house down and your insurance won't want to pay the claim.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 15, 2012, 01:04 PM
    Run a two wire cable from the outlet box to the switch box location and a two wire cable from the switch box to the light.

OR

Run a two wire cable from the outlet to the light location and a two wire cable from the light box location to the switch location.
    Cable must be same size as cable used to wire outlets (12 or 14 gauge).
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I wire a light switch and a receptacle in the same box [ 12 Answers ]

I need to know how to configure the following wiring scenerio: I have a 14/2 wire coming from the MAIN into the first receptacle in a finished basement room. A second wire went from this receptacle to the next receptacle. It was configured BLACK IN/BLACK OUT/BLACK PIGTAIL TO RECEPTACLE...

Wiring a receptacle and light switch in the same box off one circuit [ 3 Answers ]

I have one hot lead coming into a 2 gang box. It has a light switch and a double receptacle. The problem is the receptacle is dead. I wired the receptacle and then jumped it to the switch and the light works but the receptacle has nothing and I wired it again and went from the switch to the...

How do I install a new g.f.c. Receptacle with 1 light switch [ 2 Answers ]

1 receptacle with 1 light switch ?

Connecting a receptacle through a switch [ 4 Answers ]

I have a switch that controls the tops of two receptacles. I need to connect a third, always-live receptacle to the switch. How do I circumvent the switch so that both ends of the new receptacle are always live?

Front/Back Porch Receptacle and Light Wiring [ 3 Answers ]

Wiring these from scratch and want to stay within NEC 2008 and would like to avoid using dedicated circuit with own breaker for these. Here's what I am thinking about doing - would this be acceptable? 1. Upper/lower hall receptacles are AFCI. There are 2 receptacles upstairs and downstairs (total...

View more questions Search