Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davidg2e Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2010, 01:55 PM
    Connecting a receptacle through a switch
    I have a switch that controls the tops of two receptacles. I need to connect a third, always-live receptacle to the switch. How do I circumvent the switch so that both ends of the new receptacle are always live?
    davidg2e Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2010, 02:02 PM
    Connecting a receptacle through a switch
    I have a switch that controls the tops of two receptacles. I need to connect a third, always-live receptacle to the switch. How do I circumvent the switch so that both ends of the new receptacle are always live?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2010, 02:05 PM

Hook new receptacle to your constant hot and a neutral.
    If you want to make one of your half switched recepticles, both hot or both switched remove the unneeded, and connect a jumper to make up for the tab that had been removed from the hot side of the receptacle.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2010, 02:11 PM

Hook new receptacle to your constant hot and a neutral.
    If you want to make one of your half switched recepticles, both hot or both switched remove the unneeded, and connect a jumper to make up for the tab that had been removed from the hot side of the receptacle.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2010, 04:27 PM

<threads merged>

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which receptacle does wall switch control? [ 26 Answers ]

I've been in this house for 7 years and have done wiring before e.g. added fans, updated lights etc. I am replacing all the switches and receptacles right now. There is a wall switch at the entry to the living room which has never controlled any of the wall receptacles. The wall switch and...

Combo Dimmer Switch / receptacle [ 1 Answers ]

Hey - I want to put a dimming light switch w/ a grounding receptacle in my bathroom. Has any one ever seen such an item and if so where at? You would think somewher out there there gots to be one.

Add a receptacle to a 3-way switch [ 4 Answers ]

I hope that this is possible, since I don't have the option of pulling new wire to this location. I want to add a receptacle next to an existing 3-way switch that controls a fluorescent light in a kitchen. Coming into the junction box is a single 12/3 nm cable, with a black, a red, and a white wire...

Branching a Receptacle from a Square-D pressure switch [ 1 Answers ]

I recently purchased a house that is serviced by a well. The pressure tank is located outside next to the house in a small shed. The previous owner wired a receptacle into the square-D pressure switch to allow them to power a light bulb to keep the pipes from freezing. The circuit is protected...

Combination switch and receptacle? [ 2 Answers ]

How do I install a combination switch and receptacle. I presently just have a light switch? Thank You.

View more questions Search