Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    normatti Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2012, 02:23 AM
    How much money can I bring with me while entering the US?
    I'm an American who lives and works abroad. I report my income in the annual tax forms. So how much money can I bring with me without having any problem?

I know that homeland security asks the questions "Do you have more than 10,000 with you?" in a small form when the plane is landing. And I've always said "No" when entering. What will happen if I say yes? Is there any fee they'll throw on me when I arrive? Confiscation of my money?
    karan_kmr46 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2012, 03:54 AM
    It is always batter to consult your accountant, as the law keeps changing, and the amount varies
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 9, 2012, 06:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by normatti View Post
    ... What will happen if I say yes? Is there any fee they'll throw on me when I arrive? Confiscation of my money?
    If you bring more than $10,000 you will have to complete this form. No, the money will not be confiscated and no fee will be charged.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2012, 06:22 AM
    Hello n:

I wouldn't bring cash. Why would you? Do I trust that the government WON'T confiscate it?? NO, I don't! Even if they don't take the money, I think you'll be put on some sort of watch list.

You can transfer as much as you want by bank wire with NO hassles, no fees and you don't have to TELL anyone.. Certainly, your bank has a correspondent bank in the US.

excon
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 9, 2012, 06:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post

I wouldn't bring cash. Why would you? ...
    Agreed. Traveling with large amounts of cash one one's person is generally a fairly dim-witted thing to do. If you are not aware of it, there is a concept they have come up with recently ( ~ 1,000 years ago, more or less): it's called international banking. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Having money out side the usa and bring it in? [ 1 Answers ]

I have got almost $1.5m dollars in Germany which I from selling a none income property I have. There is no interest for this money and I fail to report it since I have it from Fab 2008 What is going to be the legal way I transfer the money over to the USA and what form shall I fill out

What is the law to bring money to usa [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am a us citizen living in U.S and had a house in my country for many years and my brother was living in that house. Since he had moved out I have sold it and want to bring the money from that selling house to U.S The amount is $400,000 would you please let me know how I can do that and what...

My wife is selling here house overseas and we want to bring the money into the US. [ 2 Answers ]

My wife is a legal US resident from Singapore and we want to bring $130000 into the US to buy a house here.

I want to bring a canadian citizen to the us permanently and money is limited. [ 1 Answers ]

I have become very close to a young girl in a bad situation of abuse. She needs a fresh start. I want to bring her here, let her recover and then enroll her in college in the spring and get her a part time job, all leading up to citizenship. I am willing to sponsor her here, take her into my home...

View more questions Search