Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    konradsa Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2007, 07:39 AM
    Adjustments and deductions for German citizen on F1/OPT
    Hi everybody.

In this awesome forum I learned thanks to AtlantaTaxExpert and taxsearcher (https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/taxes/...ent-63992.html) that I need to file my taxes as a resident. I am doing this now (1040) and I am currently looking into adjustments and deductions I can make.

I moved last year from MI to NJ, so I can adjust $941 for that. In addition, I take the standard deduction of $5150 and one exemption of $3300.

Is there anything else I can adjust/deduct? I am German citizen currently on F1/OPT working for a private company. FICA taxes have not been withheld. Tax treaty benefits don't apply to me anymore (and never really did thanks to the retroactive clause for Germany :-().

Is there anything else I may want to take into account?

Thanks in advance!
    -- Sascha
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 26, 2007, 10:37 AM
    Sascha:

Not unless you have some massive employee business expenses.

Have you been going to school? If so, you are eligible for the Education credits/deduction.

Feb 26, 2007, 11:43 AM
    Hi,

I had been a full-time student on F1 until Sept of 2006, since Oct 2006 I am employed on F1/OPT (I assume I am still considered a full-time student). Until Sept 2006, I was working on campus as a research assistant. This assistantship paid my tuition and also gave me a little income to cover my living expenses (~16k, I got a W2 for that).

Can I claim education credits/deduction?

Sascha
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 27, 2007, 11:26 AM
    Sascha:

If you file as a resident alien for 2006, then you CAN use the tuition and fees you paid in 2006 for the Education Credit or Deduction.

The university or school you attended should provide you with a Form 1098-T to document the tuition and fees that qualify for these credits/deductions.

If you need my professional tax help, contact me at [email protected].

Mar 11, 2007, 04:05 PM
    Hi,

I don't have a Form 1098-T from my university. However, I have statements of fees stating that I paid a total of $415 in fees in 2006. Can I use these fees for edudation credit or deduction? If yes, how would I need to go about doing it?

Thank you so much in advance!
    -- Sascha
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 12, 2007, 10:53 AM
    Contact the university and get the Form 1098-T.

That is the document that the IRS will check against when you claim the credit and deduction, so you need to know what the University sent to the IRS.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax deductions on OPT [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am on F-1 status here. I started my OPT from jan 2007 and also, my job started in Jan -07 in NY I have worked on CPT but never had to pay SSN pre tax. My paycheck on OPT had SSN deducted and also Medicare. Should I be being these? Or should I let my HR in Offcie know about this.

Itemized tax deductions in OPT? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My status for 2005 was: Jan 2005 - Sep 2005 = OPT (F-1 status) Oct 2005 - Dec 2005 = H1B Now my question is: 1) Is there any itemized deductions I can put for my OPT period? Like - books, donations(made in India), travel, rent, food, etc. And if "NOT" then is there any other...

F1-OPT-H1B(Indian citizen) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Need some help with my tax situation. Citizenship:India Came to US: Aug 2002 Have been in US since then. Worked on OPT status from March 2005 to September 2005

OPT-H1 standard deductions? [ 3 Answers ]

First off, great Job! This forum is very useful to people like me. I have read the messages posted here since last year and it seems to me that I fall as a resident alien for this year (05) tax purposes as I passed the substantial presence test. Sorry to post the same question again but I just need...

View more questions Search