Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nickhp44 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2012, 03:13 PM
    Word Problem Help!
    This word problem completely lost me. I do not know how to write out the equation and solve the problem... any help?? Thanks!

The sum of three numbers is 10. Twice the smallest is 3 less than the largest, and the sum of the largest and smallest is 6. Use a linear system in three variables to find the three numbers.
    Chic_Bowdrie Posts: 54, Reputation: 8

May 14, 2012, 06:36 PM
    I don't get why requiring the use of a "linear system in three variables" is necessary. The equations ARE linear, there are three of them, and there are only three variables.

The sum of three numbers is 10 = a + b + c.

Let a be smallest and c largest. Twice smallest is 2a. Three less than largest is c - 3. So the second equation is 2a = c - 3 or 3 = -2a + c.

The sum of the largest and smallest is 6 = a + c.

The general solution of 3 equations of 3 unknowns is to express one variable in terms of the other two variables narrowing it down to 2 equations in 2 unknowns and then substituting again to get a solution for the one remaining variable. Then you go back and solve for the other variables. In this case a = 6 - c, so 2*(6 - c) = c - 3. c must be 5 and a is 1. That leaves b = 10 - c - a or b = 4.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Please help with this word problem. [ 1 Answers ]

A local restaurant is hosting a chili cook-off. The restaurant is making award ribbons for the first, second, and third place winners. Each ribbon consists of a rectangle and an isosceles triangle. How many square inches of material will the restaurant need to make each ribbon?

Word problem [ 2 Answers ]

Word problem [ 1 Answers ]

At one time, the Texas Junior college Teachers asscosiation annual conference was held in Austin. At that time a taxi ride in austin was $1.25 for the first 1/5 of a mile and $.025 for each additional mile. If the distance from one of the convention hotel to the airport is 7.5 miles how much...

A word problem [ 3 Answers ]

A pool is filled by two pipes. It takes the first pipe 2 hours more and the second pipe 4 hours more to fill it than both pipes at the same time. The book says that the first pipe fills the pool in 5 hours and the second one in 7.5 hours, so I think I did something wrong. Anyway, here's what I...

Word Problem [ 2 Answers ]

One printing shop charges $5 plus $.02 perpage and a second shop charges $7 plus $.015 per page. If ___ pages are printed, the total cost is less for the first printing shop. a. less than 1500 b. less than 2100 c. less than 400 d. less than 900 I got c for my answer. Just checking to see...

View more questions Search