Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jcable9180 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2011, 10:30 AM
    Word problem
    jcable9180 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2011, 10:32 AM
    Word problem
    During the first part of a trip a canoeist travels 48 miles at a certain speed. The canoeist travels 19 miles on the second part of the trip at a speed of 5mph slower. The total time for the trip was 3 hours. What was the time for each part of the trip?
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2011, 11:23 AM

We know that d=rt.

Therefore, t=d/r

The first part of the trip, the canoeist traveled for

hours... [1]

The second part, they traveled for:

hours... [2]

Altogether, it took 3 hours.

Solve for r.

You will get two values. Only one will make sense.

Sub that value into [1] and [2], respectively, to find the time for each trip.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Word problem [ 1 Answers ]

At one time, the Texas Junior college Teachers asscosiation annual conference was held in Austin. At that time a taxi ride in austin was $1.25 for the first 1/5 of a mile and $.025 for each additional mile. If the distance from one of the convention hotel to the airport is 7.5 miles how much...

A word problem [ 3 Answers ]

A pool is filled by two pipes. It takes the first pipe 2 hours more and the second pipe 4 hours more to fill it than both pipes at the same time. The book says that the first pipe fills the pool in 5 hours and the second one in 7.5 hours, so I think I did something wrong. Anyway, here's what I...

Word problem [ 12 Answers ]

Two trains are headed right for each other they are 180 miles apart. Train A is going 50mph, train B is going 40 mph train A starts at point A. when will they collide and where will they collide in reference to point A? I don't even know where to start on this problem, it just is confusing me......

Word Problem [ 2 Answers ]

One printing shop charges $5 plus $.02 perpage and a second shop charges $7 plus $.015 per page. If ___ pages are printed, the total cost is less for the first printing shop. a. less than 1500 b. less than 2100 c. less than 400 d. less than 900 I got c for my answer. Just checking to see...

Word Problem [ 1 Answers ]

You are going on a vacation and you decide to rent a car rather than using your own. You want to rent the car for 3 days and after surfing the internet for specials, found the following which includes tax: Big Money Car Rental: $30 per day, unlimited mileage. Dippity Do Car Rental: $25 per...

View more questions Search