Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Dec 9, 2004, 05:49 AM
    Engine Oil
    All right, problems with this car are coming up constantly.

I just found out my Civic 91 DX has been driving on mineral based 15W40 oil for at least 6 years now. My service manual suggests a full synthetic 5W30, and I read somewhere that you should do some kind of "flushing" of the whole engine oil system before you switch from mineral based to full synthetic oil. Does anyone know anything about this? Or do I just drain the mineral oil and pour in synthetic?

Thanks,

Kresho
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2004, 06:35 AM
    Good advice on things like that are hard to come by. Some people always want to take the easiest way out. Others will go with any extra procedure, no matter how marginal the benefit. I would just change it. The synthetic likely will clean out some old deposits, maybe even ones keeping the oil from leaking. You might go with a shorter than normal change interval to remove some of the excess material the oil may pick up. The 5W-30 should make the car start easier when it is cold, and give better lubrication before the engine is warm. Oil pumps have bypasses on them that can let the oil return to the pan rather than flow to the engine when the oil is too thick. There is also a bypass that lets too thick of oil bypass the filter too. Unless where you live is fairly warm year around, the 5W-30 should be much better for your car. If the engine has a lot of wear, you may still need a thicker oil. Watch the oil pressure with the new oil. Even if it is lower, if it is as high as it should be, you may have more filtered oil flowing to the engine.
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Dec 9, 2004, 07:06 AM
    Hm...

The weather here is like this: at least three months a year (summer) we have around 95 deg fahr, and at least 2 months (winter) we have around 27 deg fahr. So kind of big oscillations, yeah.

I am interested in what you said about easier starting. The car cranks at least 5-6 times before it starts now in the winter, and I checked battery (idling, charging... ) and connections and they work great (so does the alternator). I guess synthetic oil should help about that.

Now about that 1 cylinder of mine that has lower compression... if I put in synthetic, would it cause engine to burn more oil? Since the last change, when Castrol 15W40 was put in, engine doesn't lose oil no more.

Kresho
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2004, 08:01 AM
    A heavier oil can reduce mechanical problems and extend the use of an older engine without expensive repairs. If you are going to a full synthetic you might look a 5W-40 which would give you easier cold starts, but maybe keep the oil usage down too. As the synthetic cleans up old deposits in the engine, it is possible it might free up sticking rings reducing oil usage and increasing the compression. It will not fix worn or broken rings or burned valves. Look for ester content over PAO base.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Jet engine efficiency [ 6 Answers ]

Which would be considered to be the better design over-all? One huge jet engine, or two smaller ones of the same design? I know jets are not measured in the same way, but to give an analogy with normal piston engines, I would be asking: is 500cc single-cylinder, or two 250cc cylinders the better...

Washing Car Engine [ 9 Answers ]

A few years ago I read about washing car engines. I remember that there is a part that must be protected from water (the instructions were to cover it with plastic sheet and seal the edges of the plastic with tape), but I can't remember what that part is. Can anyone tell me? Also, I would...

Snapper engine ID? [ 3 Answers ]

How do I identify which engine I have on my Snapper rear-engine rider? It's a model 30085 that I picked up for $20, and I need to replace a couple of things, but need to know what engine I have. Thanks for the help!

1994 Civic - Check Engine "Orange" lamp and Engine revs when idling [ 1 Answers ]

Two questions realting to my Honda Civic ESI - 1994 model. 1) When I turn on the ignition key there is a Check Engine lamp displayed in Orange which is remaining On for progressively longer. Car not be started until this light disappears. Eventually after 3-5 seconds light turns off and engine...

Engine Cleaning [ 4 Answers ]

I used to clean my '93 Civic's engine every year. Haven't done it in the past two years and now with dirt, grime and an oil seep from the valve cover, it looks like any other engine. The problem with cleaning is that the engine compartment was not designed for high pressure water. I'm...

View more questions Search