Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hoot01 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2007, 12:46 PM
    Ceiling Fan Wiring for 2 separate switch locations
    I am planning to install a ceiling fan that will have two location that will each control the fan and light. The rest of my ceiling fans have 12-2 wire providing power at the switch and a 12-3 three running from the 2-gang switch box to the fan. This should allow me to control the lights and fan separately from this switch box. However I am confused as to how to accomplish this task from two locations. My plan was to have a 12-2 power fed to the switch box as before and then to take the 12-3 wire to the ceiling fan. Do I then take two 12-3 wires from this 2-gang switch box to the other 2-gang switch box?

Does anyone have a diagram for this?

Any help would be appreciated.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2007, 01:17 PM
    Yes. You would simply wire it the same was as any 3 way switch (TK has a diagram) but double-- one for the light, one for the fan.

Why do you need to be able to control the fan motor from two locations? Seems unnecessary to me.

Feb 25, 2007, 08:38 AM
    Thanks "ceilingfanrepair". Is the diagram available in one of the post. I can't seem to search and find it.

To answer the question about "Why". I sometimes wonder the same thing... :)... The room is an Entry, Living Room, Dining Room and Kitchen all in one large room. The entry (into the house) is where one of the switches will be located. And the other will be as you exit the hall coming into the Living Room-Kitchen area. This will allow you to exit the Kitchen area and turn it on when going over to the Living Room. I guess it is just a "where will it be used the most" at this point... so my wife would like to see these controls in two locations.

Thanks...
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2007, 04:44 PM
    For the lights I understand. But why would you need to control a fan motor in two places?

Search the web for "three way switch wiring diagram", or ask TK. It's very common.

Feb 28, 2007, 05:40 AM
    I think that we will only wire the "light" in two locations not the fan. Thanks for all of your help with this.
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2007, 06:37 PM
    Let us know if you have further questions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling Fan wiring on a 3-way switch HELP! [ 17 Answers ]

I originally had two 48" fluorescent lamps in the kitchen. The ballasts have gone and I've taken this opportunity to put up a ceiling fan. I have two switches. One at each entry to the kitchen. The question is... When the original lighting was removed there were two different sets of wires,...

Wiring a ceiling fan to a switch without power [ 4 Answers ]

I just installed a new ceiling fan and want it to operate off an existing wall switch. The switch currently only operates a wall outlet in the same room. Apparently, the switch has no power, rather the power must be running to the wall outlet and then have a wire running to the switch. Is it...

Ceiling fan wiring with wall switch [ 6 Answers ]

In the ceiling, I have two blacks, two whites and two reds. I know that some service an unswitched connection to another outlet that I don't want on the wall switch. In the wall switch box, the top is connected black and the bottom red. My replacement fan has a light kit with a blue lead and...

Wiring a 3 way switch to ceiling fan light [ 1 Answers ]

My pull chain to my ceiling fan light quite working. I got a new 3 way switch from HD. Forgot how the old switch was wired. From the ceiling fan I have a blue and a white wire and the switch has a red, blue and black and the light fixture has black and white. I have 5 white and 5 black on the...

Ceiling Fan Wiring To Switch [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed a new ceiling fan in a room where the switch previously controlled only an outlet and there was no power directly at the switch, only at the outlet. At the switch box I wired the two white wires together and then wired the black wires, one each, to the screws on the switch. The...

View more questions Search