Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cheri.k Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2012, 05:55 AM
    Termination of mother's rights after grandparents has legal custody
    As a grandparent who has legal custody of my 5 year old grandson; I would like to terminate the mother's rights to him. She hasn't had any contact with him for 3 years ( by her choice, not ours.) I need to know if I have grounds to do this. She give him up willingly and has never paid any child support.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2012, 06:05 AM
    What form of legal custody do you have? Guardianship? Something else? Court Ordered?

You could move to adopt him but would need the consent of BOTH parents. Where is the fther?

You can't terminate her rights. If things are bad enough - and failure to contact the child is not legal grounds - CPS can step in and terminate her rights. Is she a danger to the child - physically, emotionally - or simply not interested?

If her rights are terminated - and it's very, very difficult to do - you very well may not be the person who is Court-selected to be the guardian or parent (if it proceeds to adoption). Aren't there other family members on either side who would want to raise the child?
    Cheri.k Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2012, 06:34 AM
    I live in Ohio and my son takes him every weekend. At the time when she gave up custody; he was in jail so in order for me to get custody, he also had to sign him over to me.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 24, 2012, 03:54 AM
    Please read this sticky. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/family...st-116098.html

As you can see you will not get her rights terminated. If she reappears and tries to exercise those rights, then you can deal with it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A single mother's legal rights?! [ 3 Answers ]

My child's father left when she was 18 months old; he was gone and out of touch for six months. Since then he has been in and out of her life (popping in every few months for a hour or so). We do not know where he lives or know how to get in contact with him. What are my legal rights or how would I...

Initiating involuntary termination of absent mother's rights in Oregon [ 2 Answers ]

My stepson's biological mother hasn't seen him in 2 1/2 years, as the family court refused to grant any sort of visitation following multiple drug relapses and the loss of a second child its father's custody. She had my stepson placed into protective custody twice before the age of 2, and I've been...

Mother's legal rights. [ 1 Answers ]

My partner and I separated over 2 years ago, we have a 3 year old son and up until about 6 months ago he was very good at seeing him every weekend and contacting us during the week. He has however began to put his social life first and only sees our son when it suits him or if he doesn't have a...

Grandparents rights after termination of rights over parents [ 2 Answers ]

I am a single mother of two children and my mother relinquished her rights of me and my sister when I was 12. Now here is my question... my mother wants to go for grandparents vistitaion for my children and my sisters and she is willing to got to court for it. I was told by my CPS worker that she...

Child custody, paternal rights termination [ 1 Answers ]

I need to file for sole custudy of my daughter? How can I prove that her father is unfit to be with her? What are the steps?:confused:

View more questions Search