Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Aug 3, 2007, 06:21 AM
    Signing Over rights-** READ FIRST **
    This is a very frequently asked question here. And frequently answered. The following is a summary of the facts and covers most jurisidctions.

    1) A bio parent cannot be forced to relinquish their rights, it has to be voluntary.
    a) The only exceptions to this are where the bio parent cannot be found after a good faith effort to contact them or in cases where the bio parent represents a danger to the child.

    2) Most areas make it difficult for a bio parent to relinquish their parental rights. Usually its allowed only to clear the way for adoption of the child.

    3) Relinquishment of rights refers only to the right to have a say in how a child is raised.

    4) Relinquishment of parental rights may or may not affect parental responsibility depending on local laws. The parent can still be held responsible for child support or it will be even harder to get a Termination of Parental Rights. A TPR is NOT going to be granted just to let the parent off the hook for support.

    5) The only thing that allows ending responsibility is if the child is adopted, in which case the adoptive parents assume that responsibility.

    Those are the facts and apply to almost all circumstances in almost all areas. There are several threads here that discuss this issue in greater depth. I would suggest reading them before posting a question.

    On a personal note, I do not recommend relinquishing rights unless its to clear the way for adoption. A child deserves to know his parents, not matter how bad the person may have been. People can change.
    Curlyben's Avatar
    Curlyben Posts: 18,506, Reputation: 1860

    Aug 3, 2007, 06:24 AM
    Now a sticky ;)

    Nice one Scott.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Signing over rights what can we do [ 13 Answers ]

My husband is being served with child support papers and he hasn't seen the child since he was born because she ran him off and told him to leave and not come back now she is wanting child support we are wondering if there is anyway he can just give up all his rights and that be the end of it...

Signing over rights [ 5 Answers ]

My boyfriend signed over his rights last December and his ex's new husband adopted the little girl. He still had to pay child support, which the state of AZ took out of his paychecks, all the way up until a few months ago. His work finally received letters stating that the child support was...

Signing rights away [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I'm asking on how to sign my right away I am the father and I don't get to see my kids much and have to pay a lot of money for childsupport which I'm behind on and now they want to thow me in jail when I'm trying. So I would like to just sign my rights away. She is married now and my kids...

Signing you rights over [ 2 Answers ]

My husband pays child support on his son, and he never see's him well he recently switched jobs and where as on the previous job this job does not provide health insurance, well we got a phone call from the child support office saying we had 20 days to comply with covering his son with insurance...

View more questions Search