Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sky859 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2012, 09:05 AM
    Lease question
    My Lease reads the following way, when would my lease be over?

"The lease term shall commence on May 2 2011 (commencement date), and continue for 12 calendar months beginning on the first day of the first full calendar month after the commencement date."
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Apr 5, 2012, 09:11 AM
    The lease would end on June 30, 2012.

Apr 5, 2012, 03:03 PM
    Thank you so much for your reply. My landlord has told me my lease is up at the end of April, but I thought it would be June as well. Is it because of the wording that our 12 months begins on the first day of the first full calendar month after the commencement date? So instead of May 2 we go to June 1 and start counting 12 months from there, right? I want to make sure I know what I am saying before I start arguing with my landlord. He is wanting to sell the property and our lease says he can't sell it until its expired.
    Thanks again!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 5, 2012, 03:07 PM
    I think Lisa'a math is off. I think it ends May 31. Yes you start counting from June 1, but 12 months from June is May (1-Jun, 2-Jul, 3-Aug, 4-Sep, 5-Oct, 6-Nov, 7-Dec, 8-Jan, 9-Feb, 10-Mar, 11-Apr, 12-May).

So, if he wants you out early, ask him to buy you out, 2 months rent + moving expenses.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Apr 5, 2012, 03:12 PM
    Yep, Scott is correct. It would be May 31. For some reason I was starting with July 1 instead of June 1.

And yes, sky859, you would begin counting on June 1 based on the way it was written.

Apr 5, 2012, 03:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaB4657 View Post
    The lease would end on June 30, 2012.
    Thank you so much for your reply. My landlord has told me my lease is up at the end of April, but I thought it would be June as well. Is it because of the wording that our 12 months begins on the first day of the first full calendar month after the commencement date? So instead of May 2 we go to June 1 and start counting 12 months from there, right? I want to make sure I know what I am saying before I start arguing with my landlord. He is wanting to sell the property and our lease says he can't sell it until its expired.
    Thanks again!

Apr 5, 2012, 03:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    I think Lisa'a math is off. I think it ends May 31. Yes you start counting from June 1, but 12 months from June is May (1-Jun, 2-Jul, 3-Aug, 4-Sep, 5-Oct, 6-Nov, 7-Dec, 8-Jan, 9-Feb, 10-Mar, 11-Apr, 12-May).

So, if he wants you out early, ask him to buy you out, 2 months rent + moving expenses.
    Thank you!

Apr 5, 2012, 03:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaB4657 View Post
    Yep, Scott is correct. It would be May 31. For some reason I was starting with July 1 instead of June 1.

And yes, sky859, you would begin counting on June 1 based on the way it was written.
    Thanks again!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lease Question, Please Help! [ 11 Answers ]

Ok, bear with me a sec.. Here's the whole story.. I moved into an apartment complex and signed a year lease. A few months pass by, and I end up working for the apartment complex. They said they could not pay me cash, but would pay me in comped rent. I said that would be fine, so they end up making...

Lease Termination Question (NJ) - 3 Room-mates on Lease , 1 Is not sure of moving out [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, We are three room-mates sharing a apartment and the lease expires Jan 31,2007. We got a notice to renew the lease last month and need to respond by the 21st of December (this month). Me and one of my other roomie wants to move out and the third roomie is still not sure of moving out. ...

Lease question [ 1 Answers ]

I have a roommate that has decided not to pay rent. Now I understand that in most cases I become responsible but there is a line on the lease that says "Each RESIDENT is individually responsible for paying the full amount of rent and any other money owed to MANAGEMENT". However, is says that...

Lease modification question [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, A year ago, during my lease signing for my apartment, I negotiated my rent down by $100. I crossed out the figure that was on the lease, wrote in the negotiated rate, and initialed beside it. I didn't ask the agent to initial this change also (I know, I know... ), though the entire...

View more questions Search