Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RentApart Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2006, 02:04 PM
    Lease modification question
    Hello,

A year ago, during my lease signing for my apartment, I negotiated my rent down by $100. I crossed out the figure that was on the lease, wrote in the negotiated rate, and initialed beside it. I didn't ask the agent to initial this change also (I know, I know... ), though the entire document does have her signature. I've been paying the negotiated rent for the last year, and now the management company has changed. They are questioning the validity of the change made to the rent rate and want to charge me the higher rent. Do you know whose side the law would take? If the new management company "wins," does that mean I owe $1200 in back rent for the last twelve months and could be served a notice for eviction? (OOOOUCH.)

Thank you for your help.

Washington DC
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 28, 2006, 04:24 PM
    Since of course the lease should have been re-written, and of course you needed to have the other party at least initial the change.

The fact that the other management company has been accepting this payment without noting any late fee, it is "proof" that this was an accepted change by them.

Also you can call the other management company in as a witness , and they should just call and verify it with them to make it simple.

Also how long was your lease for, since you said a year ago, most leases are only for a year, so it also sounds like your lease may be about up and ready to renew.

Also I don't think they are looking at the back rent but will want to change it back. When does your lease expire ?
    RentApart Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2006, 01:01 PM
    Hi Fr.Chuck, thanks for your answer. My lease expires today, 9/30/06. I'm on month-to-month now, which would be fine except that my new roommate is moving in today, so we'd need to sign a new lease.

They should be able to increase my rent by only 6.2% based on the negotiated rent, when I sign the new lease. I'll try to contact the old mgmt company on Monday before meeting with the current mgmt company, but if I'm unable to do so, I'm not sure what to do if the current mgmt company insists on the old rent. They might even increase my rent by 6.2% using the old rent as the base.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support modification [ 1 Answers ]

When my husband divorced his first wife, she was awarded spousal support of $400 a month for 44 months and $400 for child support (one child.) This was based on her making $45,000 a year, while he made $86,000 a year. She had three children from a previous marriage, receiving child support for...

Question About Terminating A Lease [ 5 Answers ]

I have a tenant that I have given notice to that I am not renewing his lease. I have given him 30 days notice which is required by Illinois law. What are my options if he does not move out after the 30 days? Do I need to get a legal judgement from the courts or since they don't have a valid...

Modification? [ 8 Answers ]

I recently had a baby girl in December, I am married and have an 11 yr. old girl. She lives w/ her mom, stepdad, and 2 yr. old son. The court appointed me to pay $749.00 in child support (before my new baby was born). Now that I have a newborn, I want to know is it worth it to do a...

Another modification to child support question [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, After proposing mediation for a more structured visitation order, my ex-husband (Respondent)decided to get an attorney. I did pro-per (Petitioner) because it wasn't such a big issue to me, I just wanted something in writing instead of the assumptions as to who it was that had a weekend with my...

Well system modification [ 6 Answers ]

I have decided to post to a forum in the hope of getting some guidance with my well system. I have a new well and system (installed April of 2005) which consists of the following: Well with above ground Myers 220v pump Pressure tank set to 40 psi 200 or 300 gal aeration tank (5'6" high) Myers...

View more questions Search