Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bcky8950 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2012, 07:49 AM
    Heir property in Louisiana
    My father died in 1964, with a will; leaving an undivided one-half to my mother and an undivided one-half to me and my two sisters.
    She remarried about a year later, and she and her new husband somehow either sold or somehow got rid of the property.
    I don't know how (maybe you can answer), how anyone who thinks they own that property can have a clear title.
    I was contacted years ago regarding this matter, but was told we (sisters -heirs) would have to prosecute our mother. She passed away last year and I want to know the best approach to take regarding recovering what is legally ours.

Thank you for any advice/assistance.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 1, 2012, 08:01 AM
    I'm not sure anything can be done at this late date. Yes, your mom and her new husband committed a fraud by selling the property without the permission of you and your sisters. But whether that's enough to overturn the sale 50 years later is a large question.

The bottom line is you need to go to court to attempt to overturn the sale. If the purchasers or current owners bought title insurance, you may be able to get a settlement from them to recover something. So I suggest you consult an attorney in the parish to see what can be done.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Family Members Sold/Sold Louisiana HEIR PROPERTY [ 9 Answers ]

My mother and her siblings has heir property from their grandfather. After the grandfather(original owner) died the property became heir,the owner had wife. The wife and her son started selling to people that built or put homes on the heir property and only left 6 acres. Now the wife and only son...

Forced heir ship in Louisiana [ 1 Answers ]

Father died in 2008, mother died this month. 2 children and grandchildren. One child gets all but a trust set up for grandchildren and a church. Other child not mentioned, but he is a forced heir due to handicap. Can either son open succession even if the favored child who got everything does...

Conveying inherited property to non-heir [ 1 Answers ]

In October 2008, my two sisters and I inherited property from my father who passed away in June. I would like to give my interest in the property to a non-heir (not my sisters). Is this possible without having to involve the probate court? I'm assuming I would need a warranty deed as opposed to a...

Heir Property [ 2 Answers ]

Please advise how heir property works, as my aunt has pasted and I've been informed that my grandparents on is heir property to each of my grandparents daughters(3) and my last aunt has deceased and I understand the oldest child of each daughter is the heir to this property in Tennessee. Please...

Transfer Ownership of Inherited Property to Another Heir [ 1 Answers ]

My mother died without a will and left her home to us, her 5 daughters. She wanted the home to be sold and the money divided between us, but one sister wants to buy the house herself. What form must we fill out to completely transfer our ownership of the house to the 5th sister? I mean,...

View more questions Search