Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jb1973 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2007, 09:17 AM
    Fair Debt Collection practices?
    Hey there, I had a summons served to me from a debt collector. I answered it at the court and feel confident about that part. I filed 2 things with the court. One, being an answer to the summons and two being the letter that I sent the debt collector after receiving the summons asking them to validate the debt for me and not contact me by phone, just in writing. Now, I understand after hearing from several people that taking advice from the clerk is a no no =) But she said I needed to send the debt collector a copy of both things I filed with the court with the courts date filed stamp on them. True or false?

Also, I sent them a letter asking them to not contact me by phone, but by mail only and I have a voicemail from them sent to me 7 days after I got my signed return receipt from them which was the letter asking them not to contact me. Can they do that by law? Does the summons they filed cause me to lose my rights in the sense of being harassed by phone? Thanks =)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 20, 2007, 09:20 AM
    The clerk is giving you the correct advice. You need to copy the creditor with your filings. The voicemail can be used in court to show non compliance with your notice.
    jb1973 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2007, 11:32 AM
    Thank you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Debt collection that is over 10 years old [ 3 Answers ]

I received a letter yesterday from a debt collection agency that said they had purchased an account on 12/21/06 that had a debt I owed to US Cellular for cell phone use. I thought there was some mistake so I called and was told this debt was dated 3/18/96 and was for $334.42. I had not heard...

Questionable old debt now in collection? [ 5 Answers ]

I just got a collection notice claiming I owe $72 to Prism Venture who I have never dealt with. Calling the number on the Collection notice they state is a Columbia House account and that the account was transferred to Prism Feb 28 and March 28, 30 days later they assign it to this collection...

Debt collection [ 4 Answers ]

Howdy, 4 years ago I let a credit card charge off for $11,700. A law firm bought the debt and until last year I had paid it down to $6700. I just haven't had the money to pay them. I earned 28k last year and my YTD is 7k for this year. I just got a court summons. I assume my wages will be...

Debt collection [ 7 Answers ]

Does any one know if I'm responsible for my 20 year old sons dentist bill if he no longer lives with me but I had insurance on him till he quit school?Can a debt collector go after me? Because that what's happening but I don't think I should be responsible for my dead beat son any help? Thanks!

Repaying a debt collection [ 6 Answers ]

Hey Guys, Need advice. I have been contact by a collection agency to pay debt. The debt is for 10k+ and they are seeking 8k. I cosigned for a "friend" 4 years ago for this debt (motorcycle) and it went late many times and it was finally sold to a collection agency in Oct 2005. They have been...

View more questions Search