Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sonlalwani Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2012, 09:55 PM
    Foreign Interest income
    I have an Foreign saving account and I have about 8 ( eight ) $ of interest income in whole year

I understand that I have to mark yes if I have an foreign account on schedule B
    But
    ? Do I have to report this 8$ foreign income on 1040
    If yes then where on 1040
    Do I have to submit some kind of proof that I got 8 $ of foreign interest ( foreign bank does not give 1099 Int
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 19, 2012, 10:06 AM
    You must report foreign interest income on schedule B. You do not need to submit any proof.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 19, 2012, 10:10 AM
    You report interest on Schedule B, which carries onto Form 1040 line 8a.

By the way, If you have paid any foreign taxes on this income you can take a credit for the taxes paid by filing Form 1116.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

State tax for Ohio for foreign capital gain and foreign earned interest on the amount [ 4 Answers ]

Does one have to pay state tax on foreign capital gain and foreign interest that was earned during that year?

Filing you.S. Taxes: Foreign Income Exclusion AND Foreign Tax Credit? Etc. [ 0 Answers ]

Hello. I have a question about how to file U.S. taxes in a way that will give me the most benefit in my situation. Here are the details: 1. I'm a U.S. citizen, living in Japan. 2. I made less than the maximum allowed for the foreign income exclusion for each year I want to file. 3. I...

How to calculate foreign interest income [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I'm about to file 2009 tax return & wondering how I put my interest income from foreign bank? I put money on CD that matured during 2009 & got interest on it; however, how to convert that into USD$? Also, if there was foreign exchange rate difference between the day I transferred fund...

Missed Foreign Bank Interest Income during 2007 return filing in USA [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I am on L1A Visa living in NJ, USA. I was not aware about including the interest earned from foreign bank accounts or declaring the balance if exceeds $10,000. So, I filed my 2007 return (Form 1040) in USA without the above information. How do I rectify the error now? Thanks!

Foreign Earned Income & Bank Interest [ 17 Answers ]

Hi, I am checking this for my married friends who are US citizens. They have been filing their foreign earned income jointly (Form 2555EZ) with the bona fide status since 2007. 1. One of the couple changed job last year so does he need to file 2 separate forms of 2555EZ for each employer's...

View more questions Search