Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    imagine044 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2010, 10:50 AM
    How to calculate foreign interest income
    Hello,

I'm about to file 2009 tax return & wondering how I put my interest income from foreign bank?
    I put money on CD that matured during 2009 & got interest on it; however, how to convert that into USD$?
    Also, if there was foreign exchange rate difference between the day I transferred fund from the U.S. and the day I got interest income? (Money is still in foreign country though)
    I would appreciate in advance for your helpful advise!

Thank you!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 8, 2010, 12:40 PM

Use transfer rate on the date you received the interest.
    Another filing requirement is Form TD F 90-22.1. Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Citizen or Resident with Foreign Income
    imagine044 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2010, 05:43 PM

Thank you MukatA!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foreign country income & NJ income tax [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I use to live and work in Saudi Arabia. I'm now retired and live in the state of NJ. I receive retirement benefits from my company in Saudi Arabia. Should this be included on my NJ Tax return?

Missed Foreign Bank Interest Income during 2007 return filing in USA [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I am on L1A Visa living in NJ, USA. I was not aware about including the interest earned from foreign bank accounts or declaring the balance if exceeds $10,000. So, I filed my 2007 return (Form 1040) in USA without the above information. How do I rectify the error now? Thanks!

Foreign Earned Income & Bank Interest [ 17 Answers ]

Hi, I am checking this for my married friends who are US citizens. They have been filing their foreign earned income jointly (Form 2555EZ) with the bona fide status since 2007. 1. One of the couple changed job last year so does he need to file 2 separate forms of 2555EZ for each employer's...

2006 taxes: F-1 OPT Income & Foreign Income [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a somewhat complicated question about my 2006 taxes... I came to the US in 2001 on a student visa (F1). After I finished my degree I worked one year under OPT, and I left when my OPT/visa expired in May 2006 and went home to my native country and got a job there. So basically I...

Income Tax on Social Security & Interest Income [ 1 Answers ]

I collect SS, withdraw interest income monthly and sell real estate. I am wondering since my interest income & real estate commissions exceed the SS allowable income cap of $12,000 will my SS for the next year be reduced? Will my real estate expenses be deductible from taxes owed on my...

View more questions Search