Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pal123 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2007, 06:20 PM
    Moving Expense inquiries
    Hi,

We've already started working on our Tax Returns but came across the following questions. We need some help.

1. My husband arrived in the US as an H1B holder last Nov. 2005. However, he only got to work on a project on February 2006. His employer advised him not to file an income tax return because he has no income in 2005. Is this correct?
    2. Can my husband include his moving expenses (Phils. To US) last Nov. 2005 on his 2006 return?
    3. We moved to a new state last Aug. 2006, due to a new job/company. My husband arrived first and started working while doing all the "apartment-hunting". During those times, he was staying in a hotel. Can we add the hotel expenses to our moving expenses?

Thank you!
    pal123
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 19, 2007, 10:00 PM
    1) No income, no tax return.

2) No, he cannot.

3) No. House-hunting trips are no longer a valid moving expense.

Feb 20, 2007, 04:37 AM
    Thank you.
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 20, 2007, 10:55 AM
    Glad to help!

Feb 21, 2007, 01:45 PM
    Hi,

I have an additional question related to question 3 above.

My husband arrived to his new job location Aug. 25. He started working Aug. 28. He was only able to move to his apartment, which he rents now, on Sept. 15. Since this is not allowed under Moving Expenses, can this be claimed under Employee Business Expenses (form 2106)?

And a new question...

My husband used his airline mileage moving to his new job location. Can we include the regular airfare rate (value of the mileage) in the moving expense?

Thanks!
    pal123
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 22, 2007, 12:09 PM
    He CAN claim the airline ticket ticket for the actual MOVE from job A to Job B, but not for house-hunting trips.

He MAY be able to claim it as an employee business expense, but that would require that he itemize.

If you need my professional tax help, contact me at [email protected].

Feb 22, 2007, 12:20 PM
    Thanks for the help but kindly confirm that I understand it right.

The airfare can be deducted even if he used his mileage. So, we just have to know the regular fare from job A to job B. However, this will fall under employee business expense (form 2106)?

Again, thanks for the help.
    pal123
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 23, 2007, 12:04 AM
    Yes, on Form 2106.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moving expense deduction for new permanent resident alien [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Myself and family arrived in USA in May 2006. We are permanent resident aliens with green card holders. We travelled from a Middle east country after got the immigration on a job offer for me as registered nurse. I paid $5000 for air tickets for me and family. Our filing status is MFJ. Ticket...

Work expense [ 2 Answers ]

I travel 82 miles round trip to work and back 5-6 days a week. Can I claim my gas expense on my taxes? If so, what items do I need to have to make it a valid claim?

Inquiries [ 1 Answers ]

ATTN:ASKmehelp : I need to know the secret,I come from uganda and self employed but searching for genuine Online Dataentry or typeathome programs that don't need paying before registration.I am a committed dedicated and serious person with good computerskills and internet knowledge.please reply...

Are these inquiries impermissible or illegal [ 2 Answers ]

I opened an account at a bank in April 2005 after they ran my credit through Equifax. I was approved but due to vindictiveness of the CEO, my account was closed the next day. I had previously reported him for misbehavior to the board of directors, so I was on his "bad" list. After he closed my...

Moving Expense Deduction Help ! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I got married in May 2005 and got my Wife with me to Virginia. Then I changed my job and moved to Florida (1000 miles) relocation. 1) So can I deduct my Wife's air-ticket expense from India to USA ? I heard from my friend that a CPA told him we could deduct moving expenses "IF YOU OR...

View more questions Search