Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    failurety Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2012, 02:27 PM
    Failure to yield ticket?
    Yesterday I was issued a ticket for failure to yield, which resulted in an accident. I was pulling out my drive way on a cul de sac north/south street where the cul de sac is on south side. Our house is on the east side and hence I backing out to the east lane of the street and wanted to go north to go to work (so front of my car was facing the north side after I had entered the lane). I was hit by a car driving on the north south direction. I was found guilty for failure to yield. But I was in my own lane (had not gone to the other lane). Although there are no markings on the street. I understand if I had hit someone in the lane I had backed up to that it would be my fault but this was not the case. Also the guy apologized to me saying he was going delivery for "meals on wheels" or something and was checking for the address and not paying attention. In fact I was not even moving when he hit me and I has started steering my wheel after I had changed from reverse to first gear (I drive manual) so I am baffled that this is my fault. My husband thinks the officer was not correct to find me at fault. What do you all think? Should I contest this?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 15, 2012, 04:51 PM
    If you were entering a lane of traffic and where hit it is failure to yield. Whenever you enter a lane of traffic from a driveway, intersecting street, etc. the car already in the street has the right of way.

On the other hand, if you appear at traffic court you can probably plead it down to avoid points on your license.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 15, 2012, 06:15 PM
    If all the facts you stated can be proven in court I'd take my chances with trying to get this thrown out. If the other party crossed over into your lane, and you were motionless in your lane, he should be getting the ticket.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 15, 2012, 06:28 PM
    The issue in most of those circles there are no lanes, every , one basically just circles around. Often many have "unwritten" local rules of all going in one direction, but they are far from having right and left lanes all around a circle.

Had you pulling out, looked both ways, it is of course worth a try in court on the ticket. I would expect your insurance to still pay the damages for the civil side.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Failure to yield ticket [ 1 Answers ]

This past week our son was traveling in the left lane of traffic and going the speed limit when a sports car in front of him decided to slam on the brakes. Our son hit his brakes to avoid hitting the car. As he did, his car suddenly pulled hard to the left causing him to go into oncoming traffic...

Failure to yield ticket? [ 3 Answers ]

I had pulled left into a driveway to preform a turn about, I waited for the cars on my side to pass before pulling out of the driveway, and then I pulled out, then a female driver 20-years-of-age came around the bend as I was stopping to shift into drive and thought that I was going to hit her and...

Failure-to-yield ticket [ 3 Answers ]

I was turning left onto a busy street with lights. 2 lanes going north and south, 2 lanes going east and west. I was heading north, and turning to go west. Just as I pulled up to the light, it turned yellow. I quickly looked to see if I had time to make the light because I was slightly in the...

Failure to yield ticket [ 4 Answers ]

I was involued in a car accident a little less than a month ago. I had just dropped my daughter off at work and preceded to pull out the building where there is incoming traffic. There is two lanes going west and two going east. I stopped looked to my left seen no cars. Looked to my right seen...

Unfair Failure to yield ticket [ 1 Answers ]

Hi guys, Last night I got a ticket for failure to yield left turn. I was making a left turn on the green and there was a cab driver in front of me... A cop car passed us from the incoming traffic and as soon as he passed me he turned his car (before making a left turn). After the cab driver...

View more questions Search