Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mcday33 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2012, 03:40 PM
    I have a eight year old girl, I want to change her last name 2 my married name
    I have a eight year old girl, she has her fathers last name. I want to change her last name to my married name. Her father didn't sign any papers, stating that he is her father and he doesn't pay child support. How to I go about changing her name and how much would it cost.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 8, 2012, 06:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by palewhite View Post
    Tell your husband you really want to change her name. If he doesn't allow, well convince him to with many ideas. Maybe you can divorce.
    This question was asked in a legal forum. Your answer is completely wrong. Please try to be more careful where you post to. Some areas of AMHD have much stricter standards then others.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 8, 2012, 06:02 PM
    You will need to get the fathers permission to get the name changed. You will have to go to court and prove him the legal father (DNA test) and go from there. Also you should go through the courts and set up child support. That way if in the future your husband wishs to adopt then you have a track record of what has been going on.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 8, 2012, 06:03 PM
    A birth certificate is a legal document. You have to get a court order to legally change her name. The father will have to give his permission.

I would suggest your husband petition to adopt.
    ScaredSingleMum Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

Feb 9, 2012, 04:16 AM
    If he is not on her birth certificate. You can change her name. If he is on the birth certifcate, he needs to agree and sign. I want to change my sons last name. But can't because I was so stupid and put his father on there. I contacted Births Deaths & Marriages about this. That's what they said.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 9, 2012, 04:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScaredSingleMum View Post
    If he is not on her birth certificate. You can change her name. If he is on the birth certifcate, he needs to agree and sign. I want to change my sons last name. But can't because i was so stupid and put his father on there. I contacted Births Deaths & Marriages about this. Thats what they said.
    Thank you for wanting to help our members. However, there is a standard for the legal forums that answers have to comply with statutory law. Since laws vary by area what applies in your area may not apply everywhere. However, in this case you were misinformed or misunderstood what you were told.

As far as I'm aware, in all US states, a birth certificate is a legal document. Changes cannot be made to a birth certificate (though corrections of fact may be made) without a court order. For example a misspelling could be corrected, but a full name change can't. And a court will require that both parents agree to the change, which means, even if left off the birth certificate the father will have to be identified and give permission.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Im married but I've fallen in love with a 15 year old girl. What should I do? [ 3 Answers ]

I am 21 and got married about 5 months ago. I have known the younger girl for years, but in the last few months I have developed feelings for her. I have tried to suppress them because I am married but they aren't going away. The fifteen year old (who I will call Sam) confronted me about the...

Is it legal for a 24 year old girl to date a 17 year old girl? [ 13 Answers ]

Is it legal for a 24 year old girl to date a 17 year old girl in Michigan?

Is it legal for an 19 year old girl to date a 16 year old girl in Oregon? [ 2 Answers ]

We are both girl's and wanting to know if it is legal to date each other?

View more questions Search