Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pekay Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2012, 09:31 AM
    Lennox G40UH running when not required
    I have a 5 year old Lennox G40UH gas furnace. The furnace runs for short periods (2-3 minutes) 10-15 times per hour. This happens even when the house temp is above the thermostat setting. I have replaced the thermostat but the problem continues. I have checked the diagnostic lights before, during and after these short cycles and they always flash normal. If the thermostat is turned up a couple of degrees, the furnace runs normally until the desired temp is reached. Only then does it seem to start this unnecessary cycling. Any ideas? Thanks Paul
    SeattlePioneer Posts: 97, Reputation: 9

Jan 30, 2012, 06:42 PM
    Use a multimeter to see if the thermostat is shutting off the furnace.

Measure the AC voltage between the C and W terminals. When you have 24 VAC, the thermostat is switched on and the furnace should continue to run until switched off.

Check to see if that voltage goes to zero when the burners are shutting off. If so, you have a thermostat issue. The thermostat probably doesn't need replacement --- but check to see if that's the problem first.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pilot light on our Lennox G40UH(X) Series furnace won't light [ 24 Answers ]

The pilot light on our Lennox G40UH(X) Series furnace won't light. We went through the steps to restart the furance. The blower turns on for a few minutes but blows cold air and the pilot light never comes on. How can I fix this?

Lennox g40uh - delayed ignition [ 0 Answers ]

G40UH lennox is about 3 years old, the heat on message comes on , but sometimes it takes a long time before it fires up? Any suggestion of what the problem could be?

Lennox G40UH(X) series - blowing cold air outside [ 3 Answers ]

Lennox G40UH(X) series - blowing cold air outside - would like to know what I can check before having to spend money for service to come check it? Can I check filters, fans, wires, etc?

Blower does not run automatically on lennox g40uh(x) furnace [ 0 Answers ]

The thermostat sends the signal for heat and the exhaust fan goes on, but the blower fan does not start and the furnace does not ignite. The fan blower does work if I manually turn the fan to on (instead of auto) at the thermostat. I tried tapping on the limiters, but it doesn't seem to help. ...

Pilot light on our Lennox G40UH(X) Series furnace won't light [ 1 Answers ]

We have a G40UH(X) by Lennox which is about 5 years old. The pilot light on our lennox G40UH(x) series furnace won't light. The blower turns on for a few minutes but blows cold air and the pilot light never comes on. The LED #1 light is off and the LED #2 light is slow flash. May I know how can I...

View more questions Search