Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Angela_2002 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2007, 11:34 AM
    Defiant 5-year-old boy
    Hello, I am a mother of a 4-year-old boy with defiant behavior. My son is very smart and advanced in his academics. He may also be Gifted and Talented. But his behavior is very BAD. I have been forced to dis-enroll him from TWO day cares because of it. He hasn't even started grade school yet. He sent a kid to the hospital from pushing him, he threw chairs at his teachers, and he also kicked a child in the head. He constantly picks fights with other children and I have had to leave work or school to go get him. We have been to counseling but it doesn't seem to work. He is not ADHD, because he is very well focused. Its just his BEHAVIOR! What do I do in a situation like this? Please HELP!!
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2007, 12:14 PM
    Have you had him assessed medically for other disorders like Oppositional Defiant disorder or ADD... kids that seem very well focused can suffer from both disorders. ADD presents itself differently in each child, and is different from ADHD. Often when they act out it is because they are frustrated with their disorder, or are having trouble calming the thoughts in their head.

Many children that have either disorder just can't "shut their mind off" and act out in anger.

I would have him assessed by the school psychologist and then a psychologist of your own.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2007, 01:09 PM
    Angela, you sound like a very intelligent woman. I applaud your attempts to get a handle on this immediately. I can see that you recognize how dangerous his actions are becoming and that his bad behavior seems to be escalating. This situation is quite perplexing. I have a few questions.

When you say that you tried counseling, what kind of counselor did you see? Family, child, psychiatric, psychologist?

How long a period did you see the counselor for?

What did the counselor recommend or say to you?

When your son acts out, how do you discipline him?

Let's start with those questions. It helps if you provide as much detail as possible of the entire situation. I wish I could tell you there is a quick fix, but there isn't. We have to work together to think this through and find the best course of action for you to follow.
    RuthS41 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2007, 03:44 AM
    Hi there

I'm in the same position myself... with a boy just turned 5, just started school and behaving every bit as badly as your son. What have you done since? Has anything improved? What worked?
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2007, 06:07 AM
    Ruth,
    Post your question as a new discussion. This post has been quiet for some time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

It's a Boy! [ 31 Answers ]

Well, its official, we had the ulrasound and we found out we are having another baby boy! We are so excited!:p

This boy [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: this boy likes me but he's afraid to ask me out what should I do it? I think its wrong if the girl asks out a guy,, or should I have mi friend do it , Or in a note?? :confused:

9 Year old Boy - EKG results [ 9 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I'm concerned because my son had an ekg and it wasn't normal. He will be seeing a cardiologist next month but I'm trying to find out as much as possible. The results were Sinus Rhythm with Sinus arrythmia and borderline prolonged QT interval. I was reading about this and...

Full-year for Federal, Part-year for State ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am an alien and comply with the qualification for full-year tax resident for Federal, but not with my state's where I should be considered as a part-year tax resident. Is it a problem if my status are different for federal and state, or does my federal status "overwrite" my state status...

6th Year F1, Converted to H-1B last year [ 3 Answers ]

Hi ATE, Thank you so much for everything you have done for all of us. I really really appreciate your help and advice. You are THE man! My case is like that: I came to US on F1 in 08/2000, and had been on F1 until I got my H-1B visa on Nov. 1st last year. From last May to last Oct. I...

View more questions Search