Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nurseED Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2012, 11:07 PM
    What to do if falsely accused of HIPAA violation?
    I am a nurse. In our hospital, only the olive can place a patient on a psychiatric 5150 hold. I was instructed by the MD to call the police for an evaluation on my pt. When the police arrived, they knew this pt. Quite well for past methamphetamine problems. He was wearing an ankle bracelet for parole. ( why, I don't know). I did the ordered drug screen on the pt. It came back positive for meth. That meant that he was not going to be on a 5150 hold. Hi behavior was due to drugs, not psychiatric issues. I told the police he was positive for meth. The doctor said that I violated the pt. Rights by telling the police this info. I told them the info so they could do a full and fair evaluation on the pt. I ended up being fired for this. The hospital stated I violated hospital policy. There was no policy on divulging information to the police. 3 months after I was fired, they came out with a new policy. I had been there for 6 years, never a write up or discipline in any way. 1 week after I was fired, the manager who fired me, was fired for unknown reasons. Even though the hospital is an 'At will" employment, did they have the right to fire me for something like this? Did I violate any HIPAA laws? They said " You violated California State law, Cival law and HIPAA laws.I have not heard anything from anyone since I was fired. Do I have a case or am I wasting my time?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 16, 2012, 12:06 AM
    Yes, you did violate HIPAA. If the police need to know if the person in question is on any substance, they will come in with an order to obtain a sample of blood or urine to be run for their purposes.

I understand you were trying to help the officers so that the patient would be treated appropriately whether it be a 5150 (in my neck of the woods it's called a 603), or a drug addict, however, no medical information should be given out. The police are supposed to provide their own order for lab work and results.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 16, 2012, 04:27 AM
    As J-9 said, this is a clear HIPAA violation. The police are not medical personnel involved with the care of the patient. Therefore you had no right to reveal any information about the patients diagnosis or treatment without a court order or permission from the patient.

I suspect the patient was threatening a lawsuit which is why you were fired. But no, you have no case at all.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 16, 2012, 04:38 AM
    The patient doesn't even have to threaten a lawsuit. If a co-worker overheard this and reported it to the CNO (Chief Nursing Officer), then it is grounds for termination.
    nurseED Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2012, 12:33 PM
    Then, where does "covered entity" come from? I thought police , if involved in the decision making process of placing a pt. unto the psychiatric system, were a covered entity and had the right to know. Without the info, there decision would have been inaccurate.
    The patient signed consent when he walked into the ED. The consent stated " when required by law to release information."As far as I know, the pt. was not threatening lawsuit. If, in this county I was working in, the police are the ones who place pts. On 5150 evils, how do they properly do this if we withhold information?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 17, 2012, 05:48 PM
    "When required by law" means with a properly executed warrant. Not just at the request of a person in uniform.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Falsely accused [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I have been married for 16 years. We have one son. He has always falsely accused me of cheating on him, based on unfounded and made up material. That he tries to justify but makes no sense. We had a Super Bowl party and he invited a friend of his he had not seen for years. The...

Falsely accused of HIPPA [ 11 Answers ]

I was falsely accused of a hippa violation that was reported by the step-mother of my niece after she attempted to have my niece seen for services at my place of employment. Due to step-mother not having verbal or written permission by a biological parent she was refused service. This event took...

Being Accused of a HIPAA Violation [ 11 Answers ]

I previously wrote an email below to my coworkers at the clinic where I work regarding my thoughts on the abrupt termination of a long-time coworker who I've considered as part of the family. Since the announcement only mentioned her last day of work as Nov. 12 and nothing more. Since her abrupt...

I've been falsely accused [ 1 Answers ]

The wife is an illegal and in removal proceedings Ive spent all most 10000 dollars on her defense her family suggests we retain another lawyer at my expense, so after being adamant about not getting another attorney the wife says if I press domestic violence charges they ll give me my papers in 45...

Falsely accused of robbing someone in writing [ 1 Answers ]

I just receive d through postal mail today a hand written letter from my late fathers wife. She accused me of going to her home which is out of state robbing her and went on to list the items that were stolen and then told me that she was giving me one more chance to return these things or she...

View more questions Search