Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cheryltx Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2012, 01:08 PM
    Once my car payment has been charged off, do I still have to surrender the car?
    I have not paid my car note for years. Recently I contacted the bank and they told me that the car had been charged off and I need to surrender the car to some insurance company. Is this accurate
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 12, 2012, 04:43 PM
    Charge off simply is an accounting term that allows the creditor to take a tax loss against income. It has NO affect on your obligation to pay the loan. In fact, keeping the car without payment for it is, essentially, theft.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 12, 2012, 05:06 PM
    I am shocked a repo man has not taken the car buy now. The debt was sold to a third party and you still owe he money. Apparently they aren't chasing after you the way they normally do but they can take the car anytime they want.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I purchase a car from private car dealer, they relase pink slip, can they reposes car [ 4 Answers ]

I purchased a car last year juy 2009 for 7,800.00 in CA. paid 3,550.00 cash and ended with balance of 4,250.00 NOTE: on contract there was no due day or payoff day- is blank, I have pay them 3,500 as of today, I am currently unemployd and I pay dealership any amout that is posible. Also a month...

Refuse to surrender car when I have offered to clear the debt [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I'm separated from my ex wife, and I signed my car over to her, but unfortunately I didn't cancel the payments, for her to take over, I have just found out, that the last 6 months she hasn't paid a penny, I have offered to pay the debt off at £4000 in a week or two, but they won't accept my...

Car charged off [ 2 Answers ]

Car financial company charged my car off. Do I still have to pay them? How do I get if off my credi report

Charged Off Need to Surrender Car [ 10 Answers ]

My husband and I lost our jobs a couple months ago and have not made payments on our car. We only have enough in our savings to make rent and food monthtly and it's been very tight. Isn't everybody? At this point, the car is now charged off and they want me to surrender the car because the...

Can they reposess my car after they agree to payment arrangements and take my payment [ 5 Answers ]

I bought a car in 06 and I have been paying on it every two weeks. I have been a little behind but I still pay or talk to someone about when I will pay... I have never lost communication with these people. I am only one payment and some late charges behind Monday I made a payment on the due date of...

View more questions Search