Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2012, 07:11 PM
    Trying to Conceive
    My Husband and I are starting to Trying to conceive I'm excited! We both talked about it, and we aren't getting any younger. This isn't the PERFECT time, but I've always believed that there IS no perfect time. I DO have some questions though.

I've never Trying to conceive before, when I had my daughter, it was a surprise after 2 years of sex. I think I might be at least a little infertile. I have irregular periods,

Anyway. This is a TMI question, sorry but his semen, is a kind of yellowish color... and I don't think that is normal. Or is it OK for some guys? I always thought semen was supposed to be white. His is like an off white kind of. Is this still OK or should he go to the doctor?

My last question, is it really worth it to have fertility vitamins? I found some and I started taking them, they are called Fertile Cm, and contain

Amino acid L-arginine
    Vitamine C
    Coral Calcium
    Lactobacilli
    Grapseed extract
    N-acetyl cysteine

I am also taking Folic acid too.

Will these actually help?
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2012, 09:48 AM
    Hi jennie... congrats on your decision!

Slightly off white/yellowish semen is usually perfectly fine. What is his age?

Whether you will benefit from the fertility vitamins in regards to actual fertility may depend on the reason for your irregular cycles. Have you spoken to your doctor about your cycles? It can be helpful, now that you have made the decision to become pregnant, to have a preconception visit with who your doctor or midwife will be.

For some women with irregular cycles, a supplement of Vitex/Angus Castus has proved to be beneficial for example. Again, it will depend on the reason for the irregular cycles.

The main problem with many of the fertility vitamins/blends is that you don't know the breakdown in the amounts of each ingredient. For example it may list that there is L-arginine in it, but you don't know the amount.

The Fertility CM is for enhancing the production of cervical mucus and supporting the uterine lining... you may find the increase in fluid intake is what does the trick for you. Consider the recommendation of Fertility CM to drink at least 64 ounces of water each day. That's what I always suggest women start with first if they feel there may be a concern with quality cervical mucus production... up your fluid intake... and it doesn't always have to be that high of an amount. For many, that is all that is necessary to see a difference.

This may not even be an issue for you, so another choice might make more sense if you wanted to try one of the supplements designed for fertility.

So, taking the fertility cm vitamin won't hurt, might help, at least in terms of cervical mucus. But you may be able to save quite a bit of money and just be sure that you eat a varied and healthy diet, drink plenty of water each day, and take a prenatal vitamin as extra insurance. The folic acid is a very good idea (which you can get ample amount in a prenatal or even some multivitamins). This helps to lessen the chances of some birth defects that can occur in very early pregnancy... often before someone even knows that they are pregnant. Hence why it is recommended that any woman of childbearing age be sure to have at least 400 mcg of folic acid each day and why many foods/drinks are fortified.

It would also be a very good idea for your husband to be sure to make any healthy changes in his diet and lifestyle as well. It is well known that sperm health can be effected by diet and lifestyle.

Personally, I would set an appointment to speak to your potential OB or midwife and discuss the irregular cycles. It may just be the norm for you or there may be a hormonal cause that could effect fertility. If a cause is determined, then you you would want to research your options, and discuss it with your care provider, to determine what you feel would be best for your situation.

Fingers crossed that things happen quickly for you!
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2012, 12:39 PM
    Thank you! :) I'm so excited I can't even explain it lol.

He is 33. I'm 27. He probably should stop drinking a lot of coffee, he has like 4 cups in the morning, 4 in the afternoon and another 4 before bed. He is pretty much drinking it all day. I think he is addicted lol. I don't smoke anymore, but he is a light social smoker. He doesn't smoke at home but he does smoke with the guys on his lunch break. So maybe 2 ciggs a day. He is giving it up :D

I will increase my fluid intake. I'm not sure what my bodies problem is. I know that reproductive cancers, tumors and cysts, all run in my family. Cervical cancer killed my grandmother, my aunt and sister have debilitating PCOS, my mother had so many tumors on her ovaries that they finally just did a complete hysterectomy after my brother was born.

That's another part of wanting to have another child now before its too late.

I've always had irregular periods, from day one. Sometimes I would skip months at a time, and a few times I have had a period that LASTED for several months. It was a nightmare!

I do remember several years ago getting an abdominal US for generic pain (it went away, still no idea what it was lol) but the doctor did tell me that one of my ovaries (the left one) is undersized, and sort of curled up under its self. (like its trying to spiral lol) I'm not sure if that makes a difference. Maybe I only have one working ovary :P

We have an appointment set up with my OB in 2 weeks. :D

And thanks for the info about his semen, that makes me feel better and you wouldn't believe how much better HE feels about it lol
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jan 22, 2012, 11:13 AM
    Wow, a lot has changed in past 2 months eh? Congrats.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trying to conceive after m/c [ 1 Answers ]

I want to get pg agter m/c

Help trying to conceive [ 3 Answers ]

I had my period last month around the 20 me and my boyfriend trying conceving right after my period and I have really tender swollen breast for the past 2 weeks and now I started cramping and bleeding today what could this mean

Trying to conceive [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Everyone! Thanks in advance for reading. My fiancé and I have been actively trying to conceive our first child for about a year. I am so frustrated, sad, and completely heartbroken as I thought this month was DEF going to be it, and so did he. I had SO many symptoms. Increased appetite, sore...

Trying to Conceive [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, my husnand and I recently decided to have a baby but I am on the birth control pill Zovia 1/50E. I stopped taking the pill after I had my last period with the pill pack (completing the cycle) and haven't taken it since and we have had unprotected sex numerous times this month. I don't...

Trying to conceive [ 1 Answers ]

I heard a rumor that geritol can increase the chances of getting pregnant. Is this true? I thought geritol was for senior citizens.:confused: :confused:

View more questions Search