Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jenn715 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2011, 09:05 PM
    Civil Judgment
    I have a judgement against me from a previous landlord, I have made minimal payments primarily due to lack of employment , I have some payments that I can . I need to know if it is legal for the judge to order me to turn over my federal tax refund without taking other steps to collect the debt. I am now working, aren't there steps to take before taking my refund , like garnishing my wages that need to be done first? Please help my refund was being used to pay for our upcoming wedding...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 14, 2011, 11:00 PM
    No, often the first thing at this time of year is garnishment of income tax. There is no required order, only best ways of getting the money.

Of course if you are getting a large refund, you should have just paid it to them anyway, since you owe the debt and have a judgement.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 15, 2011, 04:29 AM
    A judge's order is tantamount to a garnishment. The only thing more that the creditor can do is get a writ of execution and file it with the IRS so the refund is paid directly to the creditor. If a judge issued an order and you defy that order you can be jailed for contempt of court.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Discovery in civil judgment [ 6 Answers ]

I have filed for discovery, after receiving a judgement, in a civil case in district court. I have been given a court date. What should I ask the defendants when I get there?

Civil Summons / Non-Intentional Default Judgment against me! [ 3 Answers ]

Keep in mind, I've never had anything served to me or been to court for anything other than a minor traffic violation years ago. On Nov. 15, 2010, I received a Civil Summons from a Sheriff at my door. She told me what it was. I asked her what this was about. She replied "All the information...

In a Civil Case - after judgment default is ordered.do I? [ 14 Answers ]

I went yesterday to a hearing for the defendant's counsel to get a motion on a judgment default ordered... The judge signed it. I had filed a motion to set aside along with my affidavit and a supporting affidavit the day before. I thought the judge would be addressing my motion but she...

Civil judgment? [ 1 Answers ]

Is it true that if you owe a city money for unpaid parking tickets that the city has to obtain a civil judgment against you? What is the diff between a civil judgment and a non-civil judgment?

View more questions Search