Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jaeger11 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2011, 09:52 AM
    Can I swap between two different hard drives on the same laptop?
    I have a Dell E-6500 laptop which has XP professional loaded along with a lot of other software and files. I would like to buy a new hard drive with greater capacity and buy a new version of Windows 7 Professional and swap drives and load the Windows 7 onto the new drive. Then, would I be able to swith back and forth between the two drives?

Thanks

Phil
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 14, 2011, 10:09 AM
    As long as the operating system has been set up to work with the laptops hardware then there should be no real issues with this approach.
    Also while you're at it grab a bunch of extra RAM as well as the new drive.
    yveted Posts: 37, Reputation: 0
    -

Dec 14, 2011, 08:35 PM
    This should ask professional and technical personnel, seem to say that is not replacement of hard drive, but can change the CPU
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 15, 2011, 04:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by yveted View Post
    This should ask professional and technical personnel, seem to say that is not replacement of hard drive, but can change the CPU
    Huh? You can very rarely change the CPU on a laptop
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 15, 2011, 04:37 AM
    The key here is the hardware. You need to make sure that drivers are available for Win 7 for your laptops hardware.

But I would be very skeptical about swapping hard drives on a laptop. Instead, I'd be more inclined to get the largest drive you can and set it up for dual boot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I swap hard drives in hp with windws vista and other acer with windws 7 [ 2 Answers ]

Can itake the hard drive out if my hp pavilion unning ista and swap with one rom an acer running windows 7

Can I swop like for like laptop hard drives [ 2 Answers ]

I have 2 compaque presario cq61 laptops. One has a dodgy screen the other a dodgy hard drive. Can I just pop the good hard drive from the dodgy screen one into the other?

Swap two windows XP hard drives on one laptop. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a company issued laptop with windows XP installed. I also installed XP on another hard drive using the same serial number for my personal stuff. So when I want to use the laptop for company stuff I put the company one in and when I want to use it for personal stuff I put the personal hard...

How do I find out what Hard Drives is compatible with my laptop? [ 1 Answers ]

I think my hard drive is burnout for my laptop I cannot check what hard drive is compatible with... Laptop Info : Compaq Presario C302NR Intel Celeron M Processor 420( 1.6Ghz, 1MB L2 cache, 533Mhz FS3) 512 MB System memory, 60GB Hard Drive So far that's all I know.. Also I wanted to...

Laptop hard drive swap? [ 3 Answers ]

My Aunt gave me her old laptop, which works well, but the top will not stay up. It makes it almost impossible to use. My mother bought a used laptop, which is beautiful, but the hard drive is crashing, and so it's almost completely unusable. I was wondering if it would be possible to swap out...

View more questions Search