Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jody328 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 28, 2011, 09:20 AM
    Earache, throat pain - but do I really need an antibiotic?
    On Friday night I left work with a painful earache. Took Ibuprofen and used heat, this was my right ear. Then Saturday my Left ear hurt... did the same things. Now it is Monday. No ear pain, still have sore throat and hearing is muffled bilaterally. Do I really need an antibiotic?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 28, 2011, 09:29 AM
    This is not a site staffed by nurses or doctors, although some are here.
    Even if it were, you will get suggestions online, but not a diagnosis, and antibiotics require a diagnosis and a prescription.
    Your ears are connected to your throat by eustacian tubes, which drain mucous routinely, but which can get clogged, or collapsed. First step is to DRINK tons of weak liquids (broth, watered down tepid juice, weak tea with lemon and honey, or just water) so that mucous is runny, plain and simple, rather than that awful glue we have all experienced. Keep WARM head to toe and wear a knit hat to bed. Breathe MOIST air from a humidifier. Get REST.
    There are certain conditions after this to consider, but give this a few days, then see a clinic.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tooth breaks, throat and ear pain? [ 4 Answers ]

I recently had my last wisdom tooth come in, on the top right side. Well this past Friday half of the tooth before my wisdom tooth, cracked and fell apart , almost in half. I woke up today, the following Monday and I have throat pain on the right side, and the tonsil is swollen, and really sore,...

I am on an antibiotic for an infection but my throat is still swelled [ 1 Answers ]

I have been on the antibiotic for 4 days and my throat is swelled. I know when I swallow it feels rough. I have an abscess tooth that I think is causing all my ear and throat problems. I have had this before but never with my throat feeling still way. I had went into the ER with ear pain so bad...

Pain in my throat! [ 1 Answers ]

I went to the cinema the other night and whilst eating popcorn I felt a bit dislodge in my throat. It felt as though the piece was stuck in there but now I have an extremely sore throat, I have been to the doctor who said that its very red but that was it. I have a small hole on my tonsil and on...

Snoring is a PAIN-in-the-THROAT [ 3 Answers ]

My mom and dad have been arguing a lot lately, due to my dad's giant continues snores. They are about to the point where my dad has to sleep on the couch... It's very sad to hear them argues like that. I have to admit it though, my dad is , one, big, snorer!! So, I was wondering, is there...

Earache help! [ 5 Answers ]

I woke up this morning with an earrache. I have an old prescription of Floxin for my son's last earrache. Does anyone know if this is used before an ear drum rupture or after?

View more questions Search