Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SamIam89 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2011, 09:30 PM
    Can you wire a three prong outlet with 2 wire romex
    My house has 2 wire romex and just 2 prong outlets and I want to switch the outlets to 3 prong will there be any fire hazards or shock hazards if I don't have the bare ground wire
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2011, 05:04 AM
    Yes there is a shock hazard missing the equipment grounding conductor.

You may use either a GFI circuit breaker, or a GFI receptacle, and label each outlet 3 wire receptacle that has no ground "No Equipment Ground".

The GFI device will protect from shock hazards.

As long as all is wired and installed properly, fire hazard is not an issue.
    SamIam89 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2011, 11:29 PM
    Thank you very much. Does the GFI have to be the first recepitcle in the circuit or can it be anywhere in the line. The reason I'm asking one of my lines runs 2 bedrooms upstairs and 1 bedroom downstairs. It could take awhile to find the first outlet.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2011, 03:25 AM
    Yes , A GFI receptacle needs to be the first in a circuit to be able protect the remaining circuit, or use a GFI circuit breaker.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wire Shield for Romex Range wire [ 2 Answers ]

I just received a home inspection on my house and we have the cord for our range that runs underneath our sink on the very back wall. I was told I need a Wire shield for this wire. It is a gray wire. Any idea what a wire shield is and where I can find it?

Diy install ground wire for 3 prong outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I just moved to the dominican republic... my 2nd floor apartment has your typical 3 prong outlets... but no ground!(?). I hear this is normal down here. The apartment is make of cement blocks. Usually they build the walls then break them to install the wiring before cementing it flat. ...

What do I do with the white wire when converting a 4-prong dryer cord to a 3-prong? [ 2 Answers ]

I moved into an older house and have a brand new Maytag Bravos dryer. I took the 4 prong cord off and there is a white wire that was installed under the middle prong of the 4 prong cord. The white wire is part of the dryer... it comes from a bunch of wires inside the dryer. I am now putting a 3...

View more questions Search