Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chibbimoon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2011, 04:35 PM
    Want to move before the birth of my child
    Currently live in Florida

The father to be broke up with me shortly after he found out I was pregnant. He said that he wanted nothing to do with me or the baby. I have family in Washington that is willing to help me out with the baby and I intend to move there about a month before the due date. The alleged father is willing to pay support but wants a paternity test, which is his right, and we can do the test even though we will live in different states.

My questions are:

1. Can the father make me return the baby to Florida after she is born? He knows I am moving and does not care.
    2. What kind of visitation would likely occur with a newborn taking into account the 6 hour plane ride to get from WA to FL?
    3. Will FL or WA have jurisdiction?
    4. Is there anything else I have to worry about before I move?

Thanks!
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 17, 2011, 05:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chibbimoon View Post
    1. Can the father make me return the baby to Florida after she is born? He knows I am moving and does not care. ...
    No. Not likely at all.

2. What kind of visitation would likely occur with a newborn taking into account the 6 hour plane ride to get from WA to FL? ...
    Most courts will consider the parties' financial circumstances in working out a visitation schedule. If each of you makes six figures a year, visitation would perhaps be more frequent than if both of you are earning minimum wage.

3. Will FL or WA have jurisdiction?...
    This cannot go to court before the baby is born. If the baby is born in Washington, Washington will have jurisdiction. Otherwise, it will be whichever state the child lived in for the greater part of his or her life (if under six months). So, for example, if the child is two weeks old when you move, Florida would have jurisdiction for just under four weeks.

4. Is there anything else I have to worry about before I move?
    Don't worry. Worry is not healthy and you have a baby to think about too. :)
    chibbimoon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2011, 05:59 PM
    Thanks for the help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In canada can you move if the dad's name is not on the birth cirtificate? [ 2 Answers ]

Me and my boyfriend are still dating and everythings going great but we live in alberta and my whole family lives in ontario I don't have to many friends out here and if were ever to brake up I wouldn't not be able to afford to live here... I gave my daughter my boyfriends last name but have not...

Can a child father take a child mother name out from birth cetificate [ 1 Answers ]

My ex-boyfriend got my son since he was 3month but right now he 5year old and he got mad me that I don't take responilibily of my son... so he decide to take my name out from my son birth certificate.. can he do that...

Affidavit of Birth for a child not his.Child Support? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband had 3 kids with his previous girlfriend. There have been people telling him that the last child is not his. So he wants to get a dna test to find out the truth, but when the baby was born he signed the affidavit of birth stating that it was his child. The boy is now 6 years old. ...

Father's rights to his child without his name on the child birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

The father of my child and I just recently split and now he has to file for a paternity petition to have his name put on her birth certificate. I want to know until that process is complete through the court what parental rights he has to his child?

View more questions Search