Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gsj2000 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2011, 08:09 PM
    Tenants without a lease?
    What rights does a landlord have with regards to eviction when he/she has allowed a relative to live rent free in a home owned by landlord for years without any form of lease agreement.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Oct 4, 2011, 10:13 PM
    You have to evict according to the laws of your state. If you want to tell us the state, we will tell you, or you can ask at your town hall or county court. You will start by giving the person a notice to vacate the premises, in writing. Generally this is 30 days minimum, but in some locales it might be 60 days. If you can tolerate 60 days, do that now. Do it in person with a witness. If you are far away, send it certified mail.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 5, 2011, 03:25 AM
    The same rights as anyone who allows someone to live in their property. The only difference is that, absent an agreement to pay rent, you cannot use non payment of rent as grounds for terminating the tenancy.

They will be considered a periodic (month to month) tenant in the eyes of the law. The general process is a written notice to vacate with a deadline (30-60 days). If they do not leave by the deadline, then you need to go to the appropriate local court and apply for an eviction order. This means a hearing and then they are given a short amount of time to vacate. If they still refuse, you hire a sheriff to physically remove them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No lease -- Tenants' Rights [ 9 Answers ]

I have a very horrible landlord situation and am having a hard time ascertaining what my rights are. Here are the facts: I moved to Virginia in January 2009 and found housing in a single family home with no lease I never signed anything or filled out any forms the owner of the house lives...

Non lease tenants [ 2 Answers ]

Our landlord refuses to give us a lease but all the other tenants have one

Tenants lease is up on 31 [ 4 Answers ]

Tenants lease is over on the 31st and they are to vacate. Called this morning and asked could they stay an additional 7 days. Do I charge them, do I write up a weekly rental agreement, what do I do?

Buyout tenants lease [ 1 Answers ]

My landlord sold the building in which I been living for the past 16 year's now she want to buy me out I will like to find out what is the amount to ask for and what are rights as tenant thank you.

Non paying tenants with no lease [ 5 Answers ]

We have a tenant that hasn't paid rent since July. We used his security for August and half of September. In July we asked him to leave because we needed the apartment for our own needs. He has always been late month after month leaving us notes telling us why he will be late. We have been nice...

View more questions Search