Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lrbmine Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2011, 06:19 AM
    Can my son's father sign off all rights to our son to my husband?
    (Adrian, Michigan) My husband and I have been married for just over a year, but have been together for almost 4 years. I have a son who will be 8 in December and he has not seen his father for almost 4 years. His father won't seen him because I will not drive the 20 minutes to drop him off at his house and has had his child support lowered with the reasoning he has a wife and daughter. My husband and I have been talking about adoption since before we got married, then my son's father called and told me he wanted nothing to do with our son and don't want to pay child support anymore. Can his dad sign over all his rights to my husband? And how do we get it started?

<Moved from Adoption>
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Oct 3, 2011, 07:04 AM
    Yup.

You get a lawyer and go to court for a step-parent adoption.

If your ex will not contest it, then he just needs to show up to relinquish his rights for the adoption to go through.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can my husband adopt my son without his father giving up his rights? [ 1 Answers ]

I have full sole legal custody of my son. His father was arrested for domestic violence twice towards me when my son was three, and we had a restraining order at the time. The restraining order has since expired, we have moved to a different state, changed our social security numbers, and he is in...

My second son's father is another woman's husband [ 2 Answers ]

Hi! I'm married and have two sons. My eldest son is from my husband, but my second son is from a friend of mine who is also married with two sons. Now the problem is his wife suspects that my second son's father is her husband. In case she is able to prove it what would the consequences be?

My son's father wants to sign over his rights but I'm told he can't [ 2 Answers ]

My son's father wants to sign over his rights so he doesn't have to pay child support anymore. I am all for this-he says my son isn't his and he is a terrible example. He was also very physically abusive during our marriage and my son and I lived I a battered women's shelter for a while. My...

Single Mother's father of her son wants to sign his rights away [ 1 Answers ]

I am a single mother of a 11 month old and I have been trying to get the father of my son to be involved in his sons life I have not asked for money but I did recently go through the attorney general and he requested the paternity testing and of course he showed to be the father which he just was...

View more questions Search