Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bkpress Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2011, 11:38 AM
    Compaq desktop boot up trouble
    I have a compaq desk top(brand new in 2001) that has been upgraded with more memory about 3 years ago. Just recently I tried to boot up comuter and it is locked at the compaq logo screen and does not boot. Any suggestions or troubleshooting advice?
    farvaknowsbest Posts: 199, Reputation: 8

Sep 23, 2011, 08:15 AM
    First I would try reseating the CMOS battery. It is found on the motherboard and looks like a big version of the kinds of batteries that are in watches and small electronic equipment. Should look something like this:

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=cmos+battery&um=1&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbnid=qP CjyyqYzrruGM:&imgrefurl=http://www.cybernetman.com/kb/index.cfm/fuseaction/home.viewArticles/articleId/15&docid=JNPpiRW-240CaM&w=374&h=374&ei=MKJ8To6hPIqlsAKK3Iwb&zoom=1& iact=hc&vpx=497&vpy=329&dur=767&hovh=225&hovw=225& tx=98&ty=127&page=1&tbnh=164&tbnw=167&start=0&ndsp =8&ved=1t:429,r:6,s:0&biw=1024&bih=674

Does the PC make any beeps or noises when attempting to boot? If so what kinds of sounds are they?
    cmeeks Posts: 754, Reputation: 64

Sep 27, 2011, 02:55 PM
    Check the CMOS battery and try booting in safe mode. The computer is 10 years old and at this age any and all components and software are suspect to cause failure. You should try to put the Hard drive in a different machine via a external enclosure and recover your data. At this point reload you OS with the drive back in your computer. If you are able to reload you are not so good to go. Remember that the end of life cycle will be approaching or past on most software and Operating systems that are 10 years old. It is time to get a new computer so that you can keep updated and protected. If a new computer is out of reach you could switch to a Linux distro like Linux Mint or Ubuntu. Both are supported with updates and operate on less resources than Widows and make excellent choices to keep older equipment running longer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have compaq evo w4000 desktop computer how could I remove the cd drive [ 1 Answers ]

I have compaq evo w4000 desktop computer I want to use the cd drive for other dektop pcand I want to remove the cd drive I removed the screws and I could push out a little bit but no more. How does the green plastic slider will allow me to remove the cd driveand other drives?

Not boot my desktop [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, If u can help me? My desktop was work okey before and suddenly it was hang so I ctrl+alt+del and want to restart my PC but after then its not reboot again... shows me my reset light on and with power light too but system not start... moniter's light blinking but nothing comes up... so...

4month old compaq laptop won't boot [ 2 Answers ]

HI, If anyone could help me I would appreciate it. My Compaq Presario V5204NR Will not load windows. When I first turn it on, it displays a screen about an inconvience and list a few ways to boot, safe mode being one of them. It will not work from any of them, it starts running windows xp, then...

Compaq #7462 Won't boot up [ 6 Answers ]

I have an older Compaq desk top. When the trouble started I would be able to boot it up by using the manual on off switch and clicking it on and off several times and it would finally come on ,but now it will not boot up. All that happens is that the indicator light comes on by the on off switch...

Compaq Presario Boot Up? [ 11 Answers ]

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone reading this post Hey folks, I have a compaq Presario 5000. I have windows Xp on it. Last week I loaded xp and everything worked OK. I shut it down and moved it to a desk where I thought it will be more suitable, plugged in the power cord. It came on for...

View more questions Search